Is there any way to add hierarchy in secure notes using folders?

MickM
MickM
Community Member

Title says it all...

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:secure notes hierarchical folders

Comments

• Hi @MickM ,

You can make hierarchies with tags. If you put a / in your tag names, for example company/sales and company/support, and apply those tags to your notes, it will build a hierarchy in the tags section with company and sales and support within it.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

Thanks Kevin. I'll give that a try tonight, however I would say that's a highly cryptic way of going about this (and it wouldn't occur to most people). Before posting I did see others asking for this feature (even many versions ago) and the response was that it was on the to do list. I'd like to vote for this feature to be done in a "normal" way i.e. like the sidebar for mailbox folders in the Mail app. I have almost 100 secure notes and it's messy without better organization.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 2018

@MickM

Once you make the hierarchy (like you would in the Mail app), you just drag your notes to that Tag in the sidebar (just like in the Mail app).

Tags are more flexible than Folders. You can have an item that has multiple tags, but could only have an item reside in one folder.

• MickM
    MickM
    Community Member

I just tried this and discovered an annoyance right away. If I create a tag hierarchy like Parent and Parent/Child1 and Parent/Child2 then if I click on the Parent tag I see all of the Child1 and Child2 stuff as well. This is not like folders, or even Mail for that matter, where I could separately see only the contents of Parent or Child1 or Child2 (which is what I want)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MickM - I'll pass along your feedback (and thanks!), but this isn't actually a bug in the sense of not working correctly; it's working as it was designed. We are in the process of refining some of the tag behavior, and while I don't have anything to share on it right now, I appreciate you letting us know how you'd like it to work. :)

This discussion has been closed.