Where is the 1Password7 vault located?

macbates
macbates
Community Member

I've been using 1Pass for several years, and after checking with support and learning that I can still have the vault on my local Mac, I upgraded to v7 several months ago. Things have been going smoothly, but yesterday I noticed that that the vaults differ between my two Macs. I run ChronoSync on a regular basis, including backing up what I thought was the vault (1Password.agilekeychain). After doing a lot of looking, it appears that the agilekeychain is no longer the vault where data is stored, but I've been unable to find where the v7 vault actually lives. If I go to Preferences->Vaults, it shows as always opening to Primary, and the vault for saving shows as Primary (On My Mac), but there's no indication as to where the file/folder is located. Any idea where the vault is located? The two Macs are getting further and further out of sync with each other, so I would really like to get this taken care of. Surely somebody knows where the vault is physically located (or at least I hope someone does). Seems rather poor that all 1Pass shows is "On my Mac", which doesn't narrow it down all that much.

Any ideas on this? I sent in a support request a couple of days ago, but no response yet, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Ken

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Local machine
Referrer: forum-search:vault location?

Comments

• Hi @macbates ,

If it shows "On My Mac" then it's not set up to sync anywhere. Please go to Preferences > Sync and set it up to sync. If you choose Folder Sync, it'll let you choose a location to sync the file. Note, the format is no longer .agilekeychain, it is .opvault. You can then use Chronosync to sync that file to your other Mac, and set that Mac to sync to that file.

Note that we recommend setting Chronosync to sync that file at a time when you likely aren't making changes to your 1Password data. We also recommend setting Chronosync to sync the opvault file as a complete package, not the files individually.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• macbates
    macbates
    Community Member

Thanks! After creating the vault and synching it on the laptop and then doing a ChronoSync sync, 1Pass was able to access the vault and do a merge on the desktop. Only lost one entry, which is much better than I had hoped for. Thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbates - glad that worked out for you. On behalf of ag_kevin, you're quite welcome. I should caution you that this is a quite-advanced method of sync, for which we cannot provide much support beyond what's in this document, primarily because we can't diagnose issues with a local network environment. If it's working for you, great...but this isn't a sync method we can provide support for.

• macbates
    macbates
    Community Member

I can see how it would be easy to get out of sync with this method, but as long as I'm diligent about using ChronoSync when things change, I should be OK. If not, 1Pass's merge function should take care of things. One of the disadvantages of not trusting everything to the cloud, I suppose. Anyway, I'm all set now, and thanks for the help and document references.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@macbates - you're quite welcome! Thanks for being a 1Password user. :)

This discussion has been closed.