How to retain 1Password and delete 1Password7?

backpacker048
backpacker048
Community Member

I have 2 programs on my MAC - 1Password (v6.8.8) and 1Password7. I would like to delete 1Password7 without affecting 1Password. How do I do that. When I try to delete 1Password 7, I get a message that it is running and can't be deleted. How do I turn it off?

Thanks,

Backpacker

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @backpacker048

To quit 1Password 7 fully so that you can move it to the trash hold the option key on your keyboard and then click on the 1Password Mini icon up by the clock, then select Quit 1Password Completely:

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• backpacker048
    backpacker048
    Community Member

Worked like a charm.

Thank you, Ben,

Backpacker

• You're welcome. :+1:

Ben

• backpacker048
    backpacker048
    Community Member

I do have another question.

When I moved 1Password7 to the trash can, a window came up saying there were 23 files to remove. If I remove all of these files, will affect the remaining app, 1Password v6.8.8?

• I imagine you have a lot of files in your trash that are not 1Password.

Ben

• backpacker048
    backpacker048
    Community Member

These were not files In my Trash, but files associated with the app.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

That sounds as if you have an app cleaner. Some of them will offer to remove associated files if you trash an app, even if the main app cleaner is not running.

• backpacker048
    backpacker048
    Community Member

Yeah, exactly. If I delete all the files that it brings up, does that affect the remaining 1Password? Don't know if 1Password7 files remain, if they may confuse the 1Password files?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@backpacker048 - we strongly discourage the use of app "cleaners" or 3rd party uninstallers in most cases, because these programs can remove more data than we want them to -- in extreme cases, even including a user's actual 1Password data. 😳

In general, removing 1Password 7 for Mac by first fully quitting it by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then dragging the 1Password 7 app itself to the trash should be enough to remove it. There are indeed additional Library files in your user library, but these should not interfere with the operation of 1Password 6 for Mac if you re-install it.

• orauh
    orauh
    Community Member

Hello, I have 1 Pw. (6.8.9) and nearly the same problem as backpacker and tried the steps provided by the experts, however in Safari it still requests me to install the extension. Also 1Password 7.2.1 still shows up in Safari Extensions. When I try to deinstall it I directs to the finder, but it is already in the trash.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orauh - have you been using app cleaners or uninstallers to remove 1Password files? Did you install 1Password 7 for Mac at some point, and then choose to uninstall it and revert to 6.8.9?

• orauh
    orauh
    Community Member

Hello Lars, no I did not use any of these, and at the moment I use 6.8.9. But I had downloaded 1Pw. 7 when it came into view. So it shows in the Apple Store in my bought columns, but not as installed.
    I came to this subject only when I realized that 1Password was not available on Safari and when I clicked on it, the suggestion came up for Your website to download 1Pw. 7 ! So this triggert my activity and what you have suggested in this advise to backpacker on the 28. Sep.
    Which of could not work because No. 7 was only in the background, I suppose.
    In a step I am not able to trace back ,I somehow managed to reinstall the 1Pw. extension for Safari again but it shows now version 4.7.3.
    At the moment all works so far , but as I said 1Password 6.8.9 is running bit on the browser extensions I see No. 4.7.3
    What I could I possible do again to regain my previous settings.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orauh - you cannot download something from the Mac App Store and not install it; it's assumed you would not be downloading if you did not want to install, so the Mac App Store's mechanism is (after you click buy or get): download, unpack, install. That means if you don't currently, you at one point did have 1Password 7 for Mac installed.

I don't understand what you mean by "1Password was not available on Safari" -- Safari is the primary browser on Macs; I can't think of a time when 1Password hasn't been available for Safari for any significant period of time. Can you explain this a little more?

If you are running version 6.8.9 and 1Password extension version 4.7.3, that is correct. In pre-7.2 versions, the extension and the main 1Password app are separate processes, so they have different version numbers.

• orauh
    orauh
    Community Member

Sorry ,but I am the more childish typ, if there is anything new, I like to have it.
    1Passw. was not available on Safari within the 1Passw. Mini and when I tiried to open it with my Master Password it then directed me to your website and for new 1Passw. 7
    So I did not know that the extension version 4.7.3 is the correct one, I thought it should correspond to the one running.
    Thank you very much for your patience !

• orauh
    orauh
    Community Member

But one last question , what should I do with the downloaded 1Password7 when I not intend to use it for the next time as long as my version 6.8.9 is alright with me ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@orauh - you can delete 1Password 7 by simply dragging it to your Mac's trash and emptying the trash. In the screenshot you provided above, that only means you've previously installed it -- that's why it says "installieren," not "öffnen." You don't need to remove it from the Mac App Store's Purchased section.

• orauh
    orauh
    Community Member

Now everything is as clear as brilliant night sky. Many thanks

• You’re welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.