Convert my AgileKeychain vault to OPVault on a new macOS install

This discussion was created from comments split from: Upgrading from 1PW 4 to 7 Vault Conversion/Sync Guide.

Comments

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

I'm trying to sync 1Password on a new device (Macbook Pro) - I have Dropbox installed, and 1Password installed, but now 1Password is prompting me to choose my .opvault file from Dropbox. Except it's not an .opvault file, it's an .agilekeychain file. How do I get past this problem so I can get set up on this new machine?

• Hi @Elusis,

Thanks for writing in. I've split your post into its own thread and moved to the Mac forum as you originally posted in the Windows forum.

It may be easier to convert the OPVault on the original device first before you open it on the Mac. Can you tell us what device or computer that you're currently using with Agile Keychain and what version of 1Password is installed on it?

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Thanks Mike. My original computer is a 2014 MacBook Pro but it's currently under the weather, so I'm using my partner's 2015 MBP. Both running the latest OS. I can't check my original computer to be certain because it's not booting, but I believe I am running 1P7 on both. On my iPhone 6S, I've got 7.1.1.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis - hmmm. If you can't get access to the device you previously were using -- that has all your 1Password data on it -- then the process will be a little more complicated. Don't worry though, it won't be that much more complicated. :)

• On your partner's iMac, launch 1Password for Mac if it's not already running.
    • At the setup/new user screen, click the More Options box at the bottom, and choose Create a standalone vault (note: you will need to be using the version of 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded directly from us to be able to see this option; the Mac App Store version does not have the ability to create a standalone vault on first run):

• From 1Password's menu at the top of your screen, choose File > Import and click the top option ("1Password Keychain").

• Navigate to the Agile Keychain you have in your Dropbox folder, select it, and follow the prompts to import your data.
    • Open 1Password Preferences > Sync and you will notice this vault is NOT syncing. Switch the drop-down menu to Dropbox.
    • Do not attempt to select the previous Agile Keychain; we want to allow 1Password to write out a newer-format OPVault instead. So just choose the proper folder (typically /Dropbox/Apps/1Password/) and click "Open" at the bottom right of the window.
    • The window will show you where it intends to create this new OPVault; verify that's where you want it, then click "Create New."

You're done!...almost. Now, you'll need to switch any other devices you had previously been syncing with the older Agile Keychain to the new OPVault. Do this in a similar way: open Preferences (or Settings, depending on the platform) and turn OFF syncing, then turn it back ON again, but this time, direct it to the OPVault you just created on your Mac, not the older Agile Keychain. You can also (if you like, to avoid confusion) check the box marked "Delete data from Dropbox" as well, on the first device you do this on: this will remove the Agile Keychain from Dropbox, leaving you with only the correct, new OPVault.

• Elusis
    Elusis
    Community Member

Thanks Lars.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Elusis - you're quite welcome! Let me know if you run into any trouble or have any follow-up questions. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.