Do/Should I uninstall the Safari extension?

enc
enc
Community Member

I'm on Mojave, Safari 12, and before moments ago I had the previous version of 1Password installed along with the Safari extension. After updating 1Password (to 7.2.1) I noticed it said that I don't need the Safari extension anymore. Safari still shows I have "1Password 7.2.1" extension installed. Should I uninstall this?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• @enc,

No, you don't need a separately installed Safari Extension anymore. It is integrated into the 1Password itself. If you click the uninstall button it will tell you that you'd need to remove the 1Password application itself.

• hawkmoth
    hawkmoth
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I'm a bit confused about this new approach to Safari. I haven't extensively searched the forum, so forgive me if I could have already found the answer. If I disable the 1Password extension in Safari preferences and then try to log in to a site by pressing ⌘\ , 1Password mini shows up with a notice that I need to go to Safari extensions and turn on the 1Password extension to be able to fill credentials. How does having support built in for Safari work, then? Is this appearing because I just disabled the extension, instead of deleting it completely?

• @hawkmoth,

The support isn't built into Safari, its built into 1Password. 1Password ships with an extension for Safari inside of it. Its called a Safari App Extension. You still have an extension, its just no longer installed out of band. You also can't remove it without removing 1Password itself from your system.

This discussion has been closed.