Master Password not accepted by agile site but is by phone app

sperry1975
sperry1975
Community Member
edited September 2018 in Mac

I have been trying to sign into my account at this page https://my.1password.com/signin?l=en
The problem is it wont accept my Master Password. It says it's wrong yet when I log into my iPhone it was accepting it no problem. What do I do to resolve this problem?
Another problem is when I started my computer this morning the 1Password app had mysteriously lost all data so I re-installed it and now its unresponsive. What I mean is I go to Preferences > Accounts > then press the plus sign but get no response.
I'm able to click Backup then try restoring from a backup but then I again have a problem with it not wanting to accept my master password which has not changed.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975 - if you are able to sign into a 1Password app on your iPhone but the same password, typed correctly, doesn't work to unlock 1Password in a web browser at that URL, then there are a couple of likely explanations:

1. You chose a different Master Password for your 1password.com account than you did for your existing 1Password setup. If that's the case, hopefully you wrote down your Master Password on the Emergency Kit you printed out or saved to PDF?
    2. https://my.1password.com/ is not your sign-in address. If you created (or were invited to) a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams/Business account, you'll have a sign-in address that begins with https://(some-prefix-you-chose).1password.com, instead of "my.1password.com," which is only for individual 1Password accounts. Could that be the problem?
  • sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I did originally have a different password for 1password.com which I had saved in my 1Password program, so I tried that but it too doesn't work. I did go to https://(family-prefix-you-chose).1password.com but it still didn't accept my Master Password. I'm currently setup with a family plan. I don't have the Emergency Kit any more, but I do have the Secret Key but not the correct Master Password apparently. I am currently logging into 1Password on my phone with my thumb print.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I think I found my 1Password Emergency Kit. Now how do I use it to get back in?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975 - how do you use it to get into your account in a browser? By entering all of the data on it, plus your Master Password. If you've entered the wrong one previously, or you had another account that's no longer in use in the past, then you may want to click "Sign Into Another Account" at the bottom of the page, which will give you a completely fresh sign-in screen, where you can type your

1. Sign in email
    2. Secret Key
    3. Master Password

Let me know how that goes for you.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I've tried that many times over. I know all three are correct, but for whatever reason it will not accept the master password. I even tried changing the password on my iPhone after I signed in with my thumb print and that asked for the original mater password before it could change it and so it too told me I had the wrong master password even though it has not changed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975 - I would strongly recommend you work through these steps to see if you can remember/recover it. Please be aware: if you don't have the correct Secret Key AND Master Password, you'll be unable to access your data, eventually. For now, Touch ID is working on your iOS device...but if it crashes, next time you open 1Password, you'll be required to enter your Master Password there as well. So please try the above steps in a browser on your Mac. If none of them work, and you can't access your data, let me know. We will need to transfer your data out of your existing account into a temporary standalone vault, delete your existing account, set it up anew, and re-transfer from the standalone vault back into the new account.

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

My current account is a family share account, so does that mean that all our vaults will be affected or just mine?

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I just checked the website you mentioned and I've already been there and tried that. I have everything except the correct Master Key since it was somehow mysteriously changed, so it appears you will need to transfer my vault/data out of your existing account into a temporary standalone vault, delete your existing account, set it up anew, and re-transfer from the standalone vault back into the new account.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975 - 1Password does not - indeed CANnot - simply "mysteriously change" your Master Password. The Master Password is what is used to derive the encryption key which encrypts your data, and it's simply math (well, it's actually quite complicated math, but the point here is: if you enter the same Master Password you used when you encrypted the data, it will produce the same decryption key to allow you to read your data; if you don't, it doesn't).

We are not able to transfer your data, because 1Password is specifically designed so we don't have access to your encryption keys, nor the means to derive them. At this point, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#XXR-69424-754]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @sperry1975 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: XXR-69424-754

• sperry1975
    sperry1975
    Community Member

I've sent the diagnostics over to you for both devices. So how do we transfer my data out of your existing account into a temporary standalone vault, delete my existing account, set it up anew, and re-transfer from the standalone vault back into the new account when I can't even access the online system?
    Also I said mysterious because since January of last year I've not changed the Master Password, but ever since I had to reinstall the OS on this system I've been unable to get into the account and I'm told my Master Password I've been using for many months and the one before that are both wrong? I can even load an old backup from September 22 and log right in with the same Master Password that I used before, but when I try to log into my account on 1Password.com I'm told it's the wrong password. To me that's mysterious. Perhaps you could check your systems and see if it was changed some time after September 22.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@sperry1975 - thanks for sending those in! :) One of us will be with you shortly via email; let's keep the conversation going that way, since it's now going to involve details of your specific 1Password setup which should not be on this public forum.

This discussion has been closed.