I revised my Face ID. 1Password then required me to enter the master password instead.

danrichman
danrichman
Community Member

See Title. Of course, I had forgotten the master password, and the hint I had provided for myself was infuriatingly unhelpful. I simply could not re-create the master password. Therefore I have lost access to all my data.

If the app had prominently noted that revising the Face ID would require use of the master password instead, this permanent lock-out could have been avoided. I have never seen any mention of this.

Any thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:face id

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

That's what I would have expected. And there are quite a few other situations in which a master password is needed rather than FaceID or TouchID. One definitely needs to retain knowledge of the master password.

That said, there are a few suggestions by AgileBits to help people remember a forgotten password. But if you really can't remember (and you can try as often as you like) there is no alternative but to start again.

They point out that there is nobody who can help you obtain access to your account if you forgot your master password. Take a look at these knowledge base articles, which will help you:

My Master Password is not being accepted. What should I do?

How do I start over with an empty vault?

How to reset iCloud data and start fresh

I am a user, not AgileBits staff.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@danrichman: Indeed, that's very intentional. Otherwise anyone with access to your device could also access your 1Password data without your Master Password simply by adding their own face (or fingerprint). Not cool.

(Un)fortunately AgileBits has neither access to your 1Password data nor the Master Password used to secure it, so this isn't something we can 'reset' for you to help directly. However, please try the tips in this guide as they may help you gain access again:

https://support.1password.com/forgot-master-password/

Alternatively, if you're part of a 1Password Family or Team, another Owner, Organizer, or Admin can help you recover your account, so you can create a new Secret Key and Master Password:

https://support.1password.com/recovery/#begin-recovery

If that doesn't help though, you will need to either restore from a backup, sync from another device, or simply start over. You can try as many times as you want. You won’t be “locked out”, but you will not be able to access your data unless you can enter the required Master Password correctly. Please let me know how it turns out.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrokenHope: Thanks for chiming in! Honestly, I haven't kept up on this. That may be the case now, perhaps with iOS 12. I certainly hope so. But it was a feature we explicitly added to 1Password a while back, when it became possible, so I've sort of not followed progress in this area for a while. It's definitely tough, as we obviously want malicious or mischievous people kept out of our stuff, but the flip side is that we can also lock ourselves out if we forget our Master Password, and there is no recourse for that. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@BrokenHope: Ah, I think we're talking about slightly different things. Good point. You're referring to resetting biometrics (Touch ID/Face ID) completely on the device. In that case it will definitely be reset for all apps. However, it is possible to change/add biometric data instead of resetting it completely — adding a face or fingerprint — and we want 1Password to require the Master Password when that is done. A lot of folks need or want to give their passcode to the device to someone else, but that shouldn't mean that they get access to everything in 1Password too without the Master Password.

This discussion has been closed.