MacBook/Mojave/1Password Problems

kjlukas
kjlukas
Community Member

I have a 1Password personal subscription that I use successfully on an iMac at home. I purchased a MacBook Pro, updated the OS to Mojave and installed 1Password7, then took the MacBook to Maine and a different home network. I am having various problems getting 1Password7 to work properly.

This morning have logged onto my account at 1Password and brought up my list of logins, but nothing happens when I click on a specific login. Yesterday I was able to get into my gmail account after trying various things in 1Password. I thought I had repeated the successful steps this morning. It appears I didn't, and find the process of using 1Password from my account difficult.

I've read that I can add a device to my account and have looked at that portion of my account and do not find a way to identify the MacBook Pro specifically. My use of Google Chrome has been noted as an authorized device. Have to say my preferred browser is Firefox as I do not like the idea of Google looking over my shoulder, but read somewhere in your notes that I should use Chrome. Thank you for clarifying process for using 1Password successfully and easily on this Mac.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi kjukas,

When you open 1Password on your MacBook Pro, do you see a list of your items? If you click on an item, do you see the item details?

If that much is working, it sounds like your problem is rooted in the web browser extension. There are separate extensions for Chrome and Firefox which you can download here: https://1password.com/downloads/

If you use Safari, the extension is built in to 1Password, but must still be enabled in Safari > Preferences > Extensions.

Make sure you have the latest extension installed in your browser and see if that fixes the issue.

• kjlukas
    kjlukas
    Community Member

I added the extension to Firefox and Chrome and the little 1Password icon appears. No change in behavior. I can log into 1Password and can bring up my list of logins, however nothing happens when I click on any of them. I've tried several of my logins to be sure it isn't a problem with just one of them.

• kjlukas
    kjlukas
    Community Member

I activated the extension in Safari and voila I can login to my accounts. Safari for the win! Unfortunately not all websites work properly in Safari so at some point I'll need to get 1Password working properly on this Mac, but it isn't urgent. Thank you for the tip on Safari. I wouldn't have found that preference without your comment.

• That's progress :)

Sometimes, when there are multiple copies of 1Password on a system, the browser extensions connect to the wrong process. Use the Finder or Spotlight to search for other copies of 1Password and move them to the trash. These copies can even be on external disk drives and cause problems.

Then, restart 1Password and its background process by holding down the Option key when quitting 1Password.

• kjlukas
    kjlukas
    Community Member

I've done as you suggested and now all is well. Thank you for your help. You can close this instance.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kjlukas - glad to hear chadseld was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.