1P says "2FA available for this site, but you haven't enabled it".....but I have.

mikebore
mikebore
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

My Teamviewer item had a banner at the top saying that 2FA was available for this site but you haven't enabled it. View Instructions"

I followed the instructions and 2FA works now fine for my Teamviewer account......but 1P is still showing the same notification.

1Password Version: 7.2.2 beta 0
Extension Version: 7.2.2 beta 0
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: subscription

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Did you enable 2FA WITHIN 1PW? 1PW can't recognise 2FA installations done any other way.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

That makes sense and I suspect I did not.

I clicked on the link "view instructions" in the 1P notification and followed them. The link takes you to a Teamviewer KB article which makes no mention of 1Password:

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Two-factor-authentication-Activation-and-Deactivation/ta-p/66

So where are the instructions for doing it within 1P?

Since I have it working as per the Teamviewer KB article is there any benefit in redoing it within 1Password except getting rid of the banner?

Thanks

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

The thing is that the instructions refer to using an "authenticator app", and 1PW can be used as such an authenticator, or you can use Authy or any other authenticator that suits you.

To add 2FA to a login, edit the login, and set up a New Field choosing the option One-Time Password for the field type. You can then scan the QR code (or use another method to get the code into the field).

It's not absolutely necessary to use 1PW, Authy or the like also work, but it works particularly well with 1PW as you don't have to go to another app but can fill the one-time password within 1PW.

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks very much for that. It would help if there was some explanation of using 1P as an authenticator app, rather than just the link to the Teamviewer instructions, which has a list of several suitable authenticator apps, which does not include 1Password.

It would seem unlikely that anyone who sees the notification in 1P about using 2FA would end up doing it within 1P with the current documentation.

I chose Authy and suspect it is faster to use than opening 1P, unlocking 1P and then navigating to the Teamviewer item to get the onetime code from there. With Authy it is just one click to launch the app.

• Thanks for the feedback on this @mikebore. We do have a guide available here:

Use 1Password as an authenticator for sites with two-factor authentication

I’ll make the suggestion to the team that we link to this guide within the app.

:+1:

Ben

• mikebore
    mikebore
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks very much! As you say the link in the notification in 1P should simply point to that.
    I can see it would be better than using Authy on my phone, so will put it on my todo list.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikebore - sounds good; let us know if you run into any other issues. :)

This discussion has been closed.