1PW not the same on 2 different Mac laptops with same log in. How do I get them the same

minke
minke
Community Member

Installed 1PW on MacBook Pro for 30 day trial. Then installed it on my MacBook Air and went to sync after logging in. Thought they would be the same on both laptops but they are not how do I get them to be the same.

Minke

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: iCloud???
Referrer: forum-search:1PW not the same on 2 different Mac laptops with same log in. How do I get them the same

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@minke - did you create a new 1password.com account on each Mac, when you first ran 1Password 7 for Mac? We don't offer a 30-day trial of just the 1Password 7 for Mac application, which means if you were/are on a trial, then it's a trial of a 1password.com membership/account. Please open Preferences > Vaults on both Macs, and tell me what you see there: the number and names of the vaults. Thanks! :)

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

I see ( all vaults) Then next line on both reds Minke Stornel then next line Personal. Then next line is Primary and all are check boxed

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@minke - thanks! Your name there is the name of the 1password.com account you created, and "Personal" is the name of the actual vault in your account. "Primary" refers to a local, standalone vault, which it appears you also created at some point. These are not the same thing -- a Primary vault is created locally on your device and can - but does not have to be - synced using one of our 3rd party sync methods: iCloud, Dropbox, WLAN, or Folder Sync. A 1password.com account is synced automatically via the 1password.com servers. When I say "synced" I mean: with other copies of itself, on other devices. I do not mean that Primary and Personal will sync with one another; they will not.

If you'll switch to just the Personal vault on both laptops, you'll see that the contents are indeed the same. What's different is the two Primary vaults on each device, because you didn't choose a sync method for them, so they are separate. Here's what to do:

1. Visit https://my.1password.com in a browser and sign into your account. Make sure this is successful; if it is NOT -- if you can't sign into your account for any reason, stop and let me know. Do NOT follow the instructions below.
    2. Assuming you were able to sign into your account in a browser, then in 1Password on each device, click the vault menu in your Mac's menubar and switch to the Primary vault.
    3. Then use these instructions to move your items from Primary into the Personal vault of your 1password.com account.
    4. On each Mac, open Preferences > Advanced and UN-check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." This will remove your Primary vault, leaving you running only your 1password.com account on both devices, synced with one another.

You may need to do some manual pruning of duplicates or similar items, if you were creating them on both devices. Let me know if you have any questions. :)

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

When I log into 1PW.com. I do not see the same items as when I open the program on its own on my MacBook Pro. I would like to see them the same so that I know what is on my laptop is the same as what is suppose to be on the 1PW server. Because when I follow your instructions and go to the advanced tab it tells me I am going to loose 33 items and I don’t know if I would loose login items

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

In the one password program my login appear in the primary (on iCloud). Can I drag them into the Personal folder and then do a sync to 1PW server

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@minke - you can certainly move them -- that's what step #3 was about, in my earlier post. Please follow those instructions and move the items from Primary to Personal, and verify Primary is empty by making sure you're looking at All Items (instead of a category such as Logins). Then, when it's empty, you can safely delete the Primary vault using my above instructions.

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

Must of missed follow instructions to move logins. Now some are in the trash in the program how do I move them out of the trash and ito personal so they show up in logins as the primary vault is gone

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

if I click the restore tab do I get the primary back and then do the move

• minke
    minke
    Community Member

I think I am good to go. I found restore from trash and the primary is gone and both laptops appear the same. Thanks for your help

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@minke - you're quite welcome; glad to hear everything's squared away. :)

This discussion has been closed.