Proper place for Dropbox on a One user computer

scwerden
scwerden
Community Member

Hi, Love 1Password-it has been saving my life for a very longtime..

Just bought a new iMac Pro running Hight Sierra and password 7.1.2.

I am NOT using the Apples "user system" as this is a one user computer, but on installation a new user was created anyway, and Dropbox is now in...
[HD>Users>Newuser>Dropbox > 1Password > 1Password.opvault], and is synching with all changes made to 1Password.

Q. How do I change where 1Password puts the Dropbox folder (and contents), into the top level of my HD?

Hope my question made sense - Thanks for you help
Stowell

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scwerden - I'm not quite sure how you got into this state -- perhaps using Migration Assistant, or restoring a backup from a previous Time Machine copy of your previous computer? Whatever the case, can you tell me how many total user accounts are on this new Mac, and whether you want to be able to access 1Password from the new user account, an older one, or all of them? And are you comfortable syncing with Dropbox still?

• scwerden
    scwerden
    Community Member

The ultimate problem is my iPad has not synched with 1Password since new computer and migration.
    There 2 users on my computer SCiMac (admin), Stowell C Werden (Admin) and guest which has been turned off.
    All applications are in...[iMac 2T (Main HD name)>Applications]

Dropbox is located in the other user folder...[iMac 2T>Users>stowellwerden>Dropbox] This folder has a Red check box as do the contents the folder [1Password>and three items [1Password.agilkeychain] & [1Password.legacyagilekeychain] & [1Password.opvault]

I would like 1Password to be in [iMac 2T] with all the other applications in the hope that my iPad Pro will now synch.
    Am I comfortable with Drop Box? - Not really, seems like it's an item unto it's self. Would rather have all item in the Cloud with my Contacts etc.

Mega thanks for you interest and help.
    Stowell

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

@scwerden - ah, OK, I think I see what the issue is. The presence of files with the type .legacyagilekeychain means you upgraded to 1Password 7 for Mac at some point, and your Dropbox keychains were the older Agile Keychain type. In 1Password 7 for Mac, we formally deprecated Agile Keychains, which means that if you were still using them instead of the newer OPVault type as your sync keychain in Dropbox, we would convert them for you on the first-run of 1Password 7 for Mac (you may remember getting a pop-up saying your keychain had to be converted?). What that first-run did was re-name your Agile Keychain to .legacyagilekeychain, then write out a new OPVault.

The problem is that your other devices (in this case your iPad, but all other devices you use 1Password on and synced with the Agile Keychain as well, if you have others) are now not syncing because that file was renamed. All you need to do is open Settings > Sync in 1Password for iOS on your iPad and set the sync back to Dropbox, but choose the 1Password.opvault file you mentioned above. Make sure each copy of 1Password is syncing with the same OPVault, and you should be good to go, but let me know if you run into any difficulties. :)

• scwerden
    scwerden
    Community Member

Seems to have synched - took a long time - all appears to be ok!

Thanks "Muchly"

Stowell

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@scwerden - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to assist. :)

This discussion has been closed.