1PW7 Uninstall stuck - can't revert back to 6.8.8

bciotta
bciotta
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I have been running 1Password for years, and saw that there was a free upgrade in the App Store (get). So tonight I installed the upgrade to 1Password7 only to find out that you can only use it with a membership- it is not my desire to purchase this at this time, it also isn't possible to use this version on my other old Mac (pre 2012) and therefore can't sync the pwd file due to file format. so I attempted to uninstall it so that I could revert to 6.8.8 (which is still on the Mac).

1) But the pw7 app icon keeps reappearing in the launchpad (even though it allows me to remove it by moving it to the trash.

2) The bigger problem though is that the safari shortcut (is this mini?) will not launch the websites - instead a splash screen comes up requiring a membership purchase or license. The same splash screen comes up when I attempt to open logins from the app directly.

• I feel that I am being held hostage as I can't use the old app anymore and need help! I want to revert completely back to 6.8.8.
    Thanks.

1Password Version:_7 and 6.8.8
_Extension Version:
unknown
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Endymion42
    Endymion42
    Community Member

I had the same problem. I was able to go into the preferences for 1password and turn off the keep extension running and then delete the app from the Application directory. I was then able to reload 1PW6 from a time machine backup. Still have a problem that I can't load the browser extension - it keeps taking me back to to the page to download the app, not the extension page. I also have negative feelings for the first time towards agilebits. This feels like a forced paid upgrade by denying access to the browser extension and the version 6 app on the App Store.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018

Welcome to the forum, @bciotta! I'm sorry for the confusion. 1Password 7 for Mac is not a "free upgrade." It's a completely new version of 1Password, with a new version number in the Mac App Store. That's why it didn't appear in the "Updates" section of the store for you, only in the main store window. In the new version 7, we made the decision to switch the Mac App Store version of 1Password to membership (subscription) only. That's why it's free to download -- because payment is via 1Password membership only. Standalone licenses are still available, but only for the version of 1Password downloaded directly from our downloads page.

We can't recommend users stay indefinitely with a legacy version of 1Password, but if you want to revert to your previous setup, here's how:

1. Launch 1Password 7 for Mac if it's not already running, then Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu).
    2. Drag 1Password 7 for Mac from your Applications folder to your Mac's Trash, then empty the trash.

That's it. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password 7 app to the Trash. Then open the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store and search for the previous 1Password for Mac app (NOT 1Password 7 for Mac), and click "Install" to the right of it.

Let me know if you run into any problems.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Endymion42! I would recommend to both you and @bciotta as well as anyone else reading this thread not to use the Time Machine route, but instead open the Mac App Store and visit the Purchased tab. From there, clicking "Install" on the 1Password item (NOT 1Password 7, but the older 1Password) will re-install it properly.

This is not a "forced paid upgrade" since no one is being forced to click the "Get" button on a completely different app in the Mac App Store. The reason that button says "Get" and not "Update" or "Install" is because it isn't an update, it's an entirely new version. I agree, sometimes it's difficult to tell what's an update and what's a different app with a free download an in-app purchases, and I apologize for the confusion. But you're not being forced to purchase anything. :)

In order to fully remove 1Password 7 for Mac, make sure you follow the steps I gave @bciotta above, if you haven't already. You may also need to visit the Safari Extensions Gallery and re-download our previous extension, since version 7 includes the new Safari App Extension instead. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

• bciotta
    bciotta
    Community Member

Many thanks @Lars - this worked perfectly. All is well in paradise again! Can you post the link to where the purchase pricing is for licensing when you have a chance please? thanks again!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bciotta - license pricing for 1Password 7 for Mac was discussed in the blog post announcing the release, but we don't have a specific pricing page for it.

This discussion has been closed.