I have just downloaded iPassword. How do I export all passwords from Safari?

lgrant3034
lgrant3034
Community Member

I have an MacBook, iPhone and iPad. How do I export existing passwords to iPassword?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: os 12
Sync Type: Icloud
Referrer: forum-search:I have just downloaded iPassword. How do I export all passwords from Safari?

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @lgrant3034 ,

macOS and Safari doesn't really provide a way to do this. And Apple has made this more and more difficult to work around.

However, you may be in luck, as I've just updated a script which I'd written to do just this. It stopped working for Safari 12, and I had to re-write a large part of the script to allow it to work with Safari 12.

Please see this post I just made.

Once you have exported your Safari passwords using the script, download the convert_to_1p4 package also in Testing Bits, and follow the directions in the first post and in the README.pdf file for using the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper.

To summarize:
    1. Use GetSafariPasswords_Safari12 if you using Safari 12 (use GetSafariPasswords if you are still using Safari 11). This script will pull your Safari passwords and place them into a CSV file.
    2. Use the AppleScript_Conversion_Helper and select the CSV converter of the Converter Suite to convert the exported Safari passwords into a 1PIF file that 1Password can import.

Ask if you need help.

This discussion has been closed.