How to deal with a theft - and remotely wipe data in 1Password?

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member

Recently my macbook was stolen.

• what about 1Password on that device. How can I remotely delete all the data in 1password?

I did set find my iCloud macbook to delete on next open - but if that was not available - how can I deal with this issue?

BTW: when I changed my master 1Pass password on one device = it did NOT change other devices....
Did I do something wrong?

• or maybe it should?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: sierra
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Sorry to hear your Macbook got stolen. I don't think there is a way to remotely delete 1PW data, though of course you can delete all data. But I might be wrong.

As to the change in password, there is a slight catch about changing it on other devices. Basically, the way the change propagates means that when you have created a new master password on one device, you still have to use the old master password on other devices at least once (so that they can sync and get the new password). Then the next time you can use either password, the old or the new. As soon as you use the new password you can no longer use the old one.

It is a touch confusing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, and all an attacker would need to do would be to keep the device offline to prevent it from getting the signal to erase. So more security theater than anything for Macs, which don't have OS/hardware design to facilitate this, or even a cellular connection.

However, it doesn't matter. 1Password is designed so that it can withstand direct attack. So long as you're using a long, strong, unique Master Password, it will be infeasible for someone to brute force it — even if they are somehow able to break through FileVault2.

This discussion has been closed.