re-syncing - how do I over write a vault

dealtek
dealtek
Community Member

device 1 has master data and just synced with dropbox

device 2 was un-synced for a while and has OLD data

now I want to re-sync device 2 and COMPLETELY OVERWRITE old data (NOT MERGE)

but when I try to resync and find the correct file in dropbox - it only says MERGE but I want to overwrite

How do I just COMPLETELY OVERWRITE this vault on device 2?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - we don't have an "overwrite" feature built into 1Password for Mac -- or any of our native apps. If you want to get rid of a vault completely and replace it with the data from another sync keychain, the way to do it would be (on the second device) to click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password Data. This will remove all of the data from 1Password for Mac and when you re-launch it, it will be as if you are a new user. You can then use Dropbox as your data source, and sync directly with the proper OPVault keychain(s) in Dropbox.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Ok, that makes sense - thanks for the info - will do!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - sounds good. Let us know if you run into any difficulties.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

you said - This will remove all of the data from 1Password for Mac...

My mac has the master data. What I want to do is delete the data from 2 ios devices - can I do the same on them also?

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

also I have the stand alone version. I have been syncing on dropbox - and I see on ios
    1 -erase all 1P data and
    2 -erase iCloud data

Q: will erase all 1P data remove from ALL vaults for this IOS device?
    Q: what is stored on iCloud data since I am using dropbox?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - sorry for the confusion. You initially said just "device 1" and "device 2," without indicating which of them was a Mac or an iOS device. I probably should have asked, but because this is the Mac forum, I thought you were speaking of two Macs, not a Mac and an iOS device. My instructions above were for what I thought was the second MAC.

If you want to overwrite two iOS devices with data from your copy of 1Password for Mac, then yes -- Settings > Advanced > Erase All 1Password Data is the correct command. This will remove all data from your 1Password for iOS install, and quit the app. The next time you launch 1Password, it will be as if you are a new user. At the welcome screen, scroll down and choose Dropbox as your data source.

will erase all 1P data remove from ALL vaults for this IOS device?

Yes. Is that not what you wanted?

what is stored on iCloud data since I am using dropbox?

Nothing, if you've never used iCloud as your sync method. That option is there for those who have. Let me know if you have questions. :)

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

great thanks - I will give it a try

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - sounds good. Let me know if you run into any difficulties.

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

Seemed to all work well - I just did full delete - then re-sync - all good - thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek - glad to hear it! :)

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

OK - well now a hickkup....

So all was well and re-synced as stated above

Master on mac and 2 ios getting updates.....

But then I updated data on the mac - and it said it resynced in drobox - but the ios iphone did not get the updates (also synced to same dropbox)

i quit and re opened mac and ios - but still no updates on ios iphone...

• then a clicked sync now on ios,,,

and opposite happened

• then mac updated to older ios version instead
      NOT GOOD

what's up wth this bad syncing?

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

well not sure what happened - but I did these things:

• on secondary mac - I deleted dropbox and 1password 7 - then reinstalled both
    • now the syncing seems to be working on all devices

Hint: I was seeing dropbox alerts that "bands" were updating - but I was not seeing mod date of the 1pass dropbox folder items changing. Well i think this is normal because the band are part of the file and might not trigger modify date update to the file. Is that correct?

• dealtek
    dealtek
    Community Member

also sometimes when I open 1P is says "pasting from ...xxx" - what is that? (i have dropbox sync)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dealtek

what's up wth this bad syncing?

It's hard to say, without a closer look at what's going on with your devices. To get that closer look, I'd like to ask you to create some diagnostics reports, one from each of your devices.

—Mac—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

—iOS—
    https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics emails before sending them:

[#DYG-85469-248]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @dealtek only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: DYG-85469-248

This discussion has been closed.