1P 7.2 won't install an extension on Safari 12.0

tstableford
tstableford
Community Member

Hello, I cannot get 1P 7.2 to install an extension on Safari 12.0, can you help? I just purchased 1P today and simply cannot figure out how to effectively start using this, without the extension. I've tried downloading it through Safari: Extensions: App Store, but it first gave an error; and I tried again and now it's "waiting" indefinitely. Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension 7.2

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tstableford: Thanks for reaching out. I’m sorry for the confusion! With Safari 12 and 1Password 7.2, there is no extension to install. It's part of the app. You just need to restart your Mac and enable it in Safari Preferences > Extensions. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• tstableford
    tstableford
    Community Member

Thank you that worked; I spent over an hour trying to troubleshoot this and didn't see it in the instructions. I may have missed it, but otherwise you may want to update your instructions.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@tstableford: Glad to hear it! Can you tell me which instructions you were referring to? Happy to take a look to see if there's room for improvement. :)

• rudy
    edited October 2018

@Nekoninda,

There is an extension, what he means is there is no separately installed extension. The extension is built into 1Password itself.

Upon installing Safari 12 and 1Password 7.2, Safari will automatically detect that there is an extension inside of 1Password 7.2.

If you had the legacy extension installed Safari will replace its entry in Safari -> Preferences -> Extensions with the one included in 7.2, if it was enabled it will enable the new one.

if you didn't have the legacy extension then the extension will appear in the Preferences -> Extensions tab in a disabled state.

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

You're welcome, @Nekoninda, on behalf of Rudy. Glad you found his explanation to be clear and understandable.

Thanks for that link, @tstableford. Earlier you'd mentioned:

I spent over an hour trying to troubleshoot this and didn't see it in the instructions. I may have missed it, but otherwise you may want to update your instructions.

The Saving, filling, and changing your passwords article you linked to is an overview of the 1Password extension, for all platforms. Other articles it refers to have specific details about installation, troubleshooting, and usage. Had you checked any of those, like these two (first and last)?

Both of those articles will be updated with information for 1Password 7.2 / Safari 12 (or later), so if you looked there you currently didn't miss anything about them – sorry about that. The overview article has never been intended to include instructions for 1Password extension installation/troubleshooting so I'd like to understand if you thought it was and what might be better clarified there.

This discussion has been closed.