Installing 1Password on a New MacBook Pro

pcgs51
pcgs51
Community Member

First thing I want to do with my new computer is install 1Password.

I am a long time 1Password user so I need to install the app and not login to the 1Password site. I own a license and it is my understanding I can use it on as many Macs as I like. Following the instructions on this site I could only find 1Password 7. My old computer is currently using version 6.

I installed version 7. How do I get it to link with my 1Password file at DropBox (file name "1Password.agilekeychain")? 1Password 7 is looking for a file that ends with a different extension.

How do I handle this? Thank you,

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6 (17G2307)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pcgs51 - I'm sorry for the confusion! You can indeed use 1Password licenses on as many Macs as you personally own/use. However, 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version and therefore also a new purchase for all users except those who bought the previous version on or after March 27 of this year. If your most-recent purchase is older than that, then you'll need to purchase a license for version 7 by following the in-app prompts.

1Password 7 for Mac also has formally retired the 10+ year old Agile Keychain format. When you launch 1Password 7 for Mac for the first time on a Mac that has existing 1Password 6 for Mac data, if that data was synced to Dropbox using an Agile Keychain, version 7 should have notified you that it needed to convert your deprecated Agile Keychains to the newer OPVault format.

The procedure you'll need to follow to upgrade to version 7 and convert your older Agile Keychains to the newer OPVaults is outlined below, but I thought before we get into that, I'd suggest that the best way to use 1Password currently - one which avoids all of the maneuvering involved with standalone licenses and advanced sync - is a 1password.com membership. There's a 30-day free trial, so you can give it a go without commitment for up to a month.

OK, here we go: if you're upgrading to version 7 at the same time as you're starting to use a brand-new Mac (as it sounds like you are), then you won't have any previous version 6 or earlier 1Password data on your Mac. In that case, what you'll need to do is the following:

1. Make sure you've got the version of 1Password 7 for Mac downloaded directly from our downloads page (not the Mac App Store). If you downloaded 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store, Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then delete it by dragging it to the trash, and finally install our version.
    2. On first run, choose "More Options" and "Create Standalone Vault." This will create an empty Primary vault.
    3. Next, you'll need to purchase 1Password 7 for Mac to license it -- choose "Purchase 1Password" from the 1Password menu. Once you've installed your license from our FastSpring store, you'll be able to import your previous Agile Keychain data and convert it to the OPVault format.
    4. Click File > Import and then choose the top option, "1Password Keychain" from the pop-up menu. Navigate to your Agile Keychain in Dropbox, and your data should be imported. You'll need to repeat that procedure for any additional secondary vaults in the Agile Keychain format (create a new vault from File > New Vault, then do File > Import again).
    5. Next, head over to Preferences > Sync, and choose Dropbox as your sync method. Do NOT try to use the existing Agile Keychains you'll see in your Dropbox folder; instead, allow 1Password to create a new keychain, which will be in the OPVault format.
    6. Finally, if you have other devices that have been syncing with the older Agile Keychain, make sure to turn their syncing off, then back on again -- and choose the OPVaults you created on your new Mac, instead of those older Agile Keychains.

Hope that helps!

• pcgs51
    pcgs51
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

I responded to the other post of mine probably too soon. Here is what I've done thus far:
    I followed the instructions as best I could. They weren't exact but I do now have v7 installed and see a vault on my Dropbox account with the ".opvault" extension.

As for Syncing with my other devices. I have an iPhone 6, an iPad Pro that I need to re-sync. I don't know how to turn off the syncing and on again. I tried looking in the iPhone settings. I cannot access the 1Password app now so doubtful I can re-sync from there. Or do is it somewhere else?

Hope you can help.
    Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@pcgs51 - OK, it sounds like you've made some progress. That's good!

I cannot access the 1Password app now so doubtful I can re-sync from there.

I'm not sure what you mean by this - do you mean 1Password for iOS is no longer on your device? Or that you cannot unlock it?

On your Mac, are you able to unlock 1Password 7 for Mac with your Master Password, and do you see a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data there, synced with the OPVault keychain in Dropbox?

This discussion has been closed.