Can't sign into MacOS app, works fine on website and iOS

saoirse1916
saoirse1916
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I just purchased an annual 1Password subscription and I can sign into the website and the iOS app no problem, but when I try to sign into the MacOS app it just flashes red. I happened to click the 1Password menu and hit License and it says I'm in Read-Only mode, if that makes any difference.

Just for kicks, I tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling to no avail.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @saoirse1916! If you're in Read Only mode, then you've created at least one standalone vault (or imported it from a previous version or from a 3rd party sync method like Dropbox or iCloud). Reinstalling the 1Password app itself won't help, as your data are not stored within the app, but in your user library folder. Let me ask you: if you sign into your 1password.com account in a browser (not the 1Password app on your phone or Mac), is all of your data visible there? In other words, does that represent a complete and up-to-date copy of your 1Password data? Or is there data in the 1Password for Mac app that's NOT in the browser which you still need?

• saoirse1916
    saoirse1916
    Community Member

I'm not sure what's in the 1Password for Mac app as it won't open (flashes red when I enter the password) but yes, everything is there when I access 1Password in a browser. I think I did try 1Password about 3 years ago on this Mac but never added anything to it until I purchased the subscription just yesterday.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@saoirse1916 - OK, that's good! In that case, with 1Password 7 for Mac open, click Help > Troubleshooting > Reset all 1Password data. That will delete all the data from 1Password 7 for Mac, and when you open it next time, it will be as if you are a new user. Just click the button to sign into your 1password.com account, and you should be all set, but let me know if you run into any difficulties.

• saoirse1916
    saoirse1916
    Community Member

Yep, that did it - thanks a bunch!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@saoirse1916 - great, glad to hear it. Let us know if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.