Updater Failing to Get Version

Gaffy62
Gaffy62
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

Hi, is any else getting this error - "Updater Failed - Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application."

I am running MacOS Mojave v10.14 and 1Password7 v7.2.1

Cheers

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Gaffy62! I'm sorry for the trouble. Is it possible you're clicking the update in the new (to Mojave) "Recent Apps" section of your Mac's dock? Version 7.2.1 is the current version of 1Password unless you're on the beta channel, so that would explain why the updater can't find any new versions. The reason you're seeing it in the dock is because Mojave now keeps icons of the last three most-recently-used apps. So if you updated TO 7.2.1 fairly recently and haven't launched other apps since, you'll still see it there.

• Gaffy62
    Gaffy62
    Community Member

Yes, that's exactly it, if I click on the icon in the "Recent Apps" section I get the message "Updater Failed - Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." The message is misleading as it says that it failed to find the version of installed 1Password application rather than that it can't find any new versions. Anyway as you rightly point out I am on the latest release of 1Password so all is good, but maybe this is something that could be looked at to make is less misleading?

• Quixotic9
    Quixotic9
    Community Member

I have the same error message. As Gaffy62 said, it's misleading. There is no error or failure.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gaffy62 and @Quixotic9 - this isn't something we can control, as it's a (new) feature of macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”). If you're not a fan, you can un-check the box in System Preferences > Dock that says "Show recent applications in the dock."

• Quixotic9
    Quixotic9
    Community Member

The problem isn't showing the updater application, the problem is the updater saying there is an error. Just report that the computer is up to date with the most recent application. What's hard about that?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Quixotic9 - it doesn't work like that. We DO show an in-app result of up-to-date...when you check for updates from within the app. The updater is what gets called when there IS an update. So, when you check (either manually or automatically) for updates, and 1Password finds a new version, that's when the updater is launched, to perform the task, after which it closes again. However, due to the fact that the new "Recent Applications" feature in Mojave shows any app, not just ones at the top level of your Applications folder, if you click it from what is essentially a history list, it will fail because (likely, since it's in recent applications) there is now no longer any new version to be downloaded. There are two ways to avoid this behavior:

1. Don't click on the updater in the Recent Applications section of your Mac's Dock (use only the built-in updates checker at either Preferences > Updates > Check now or the menubar item 1Password > Check for Updates), or
    2. Turn off the "Show Recent Applications..." feature in Mojave, in the above location in System Preferences, which will result in you not seeing the updater ever, except when it's doing its work actually updating your version of 1Password.
  • Quixotic9
    Quixotic9
    Community Member

Thanks. Now I know to ignore it. I appreciate your effort. 1Password is one of my most important apps.

What about all the other 1Password users getting this message, though?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Quixotic9 - so far, we've not been inundated with reports of people clicking the updater from Mojave's Recent Applications menu in the Dock -- but that may change as more people switch to Mojave. We'll keep an eye on it, moving forward. Thanks for reporting.

• Gaffy62
    Gaffy62
    Community Member

Hmmmm........this sounds a lot like the old adage when a customer complains that his suit jacket sleeves are too long, the salesman says, "It'll ride up with wear Sir!"

I like the Mojave feature for 'Recent Applications' and I am sure you could 'code' a solution to this particular issue. However as the other contributor says, now that I know that there is no error I can ignore it and remove the offending icon from the dock ;-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Gaffy62

this sounds a lot like the old adage when a customer complains that his suit jacket sleeves are too long, the salesman says, "It'll ride up with wear Sir!"

Ha! :lol: It actually made me think of a different adage: "Doctor," says the patient, "it hurts when I do this." Doctor: "so, don't do that." ;)

In this case, the "don't do that" would be: don't try to use an updater app in a way you've never done before just because it's possible to do so now. Instead, continue to follow the steps we outline in our support pages, to keep 1Password up to date. You don't even have to remove the updater from the Recent Applications section of the Dock or turn off the Recent Applications feature in Mojave (as opening other apps will knock it out of that spot anyway): just don't try to launch the updater utility from the Dock. That's it, really. If you're willing to turn on automatic updates, you won't even need to think about it any more. We might be able to code our way around this, but since nothing harmful results from a failed update check, this falls very much into the lower priority category of items for us to consider unless we get a great deal more people writing in about it.

• Gaffy62
    Gaffy62
    Community Member

LOL

• Poelpetater
    Poelpetater
    Community Member

I have this issue as well, but since the Mojave update, the updater auto launches upon restart - every time - and then displays the "Updater Failed - Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." error?

• Poelpetater
    Poelpetater
    Community Member

Found and removed 1Password Updater from Login Items within Users & Groups in system preferences.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Poelpetater - I don't know what would've put the updater into your Login Items list in System Preferences, but I'm glad to hear you were able to get it sorted. :)

• edtruck
    edtruck
    Community Member

Same "issue" here. It's the 1Password Updater application that's showing in the recent applications section of the dock - not the 1Password application. That doesn't make sense because I've never opened the Updater application.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@edtruck - you have if you've ever updated 1Password at all, anytime. The updater isn't meant to be opened by itself; it's part of 1Password you can't see, which only launches as the result of a successful search for new versions from within 1Password (the 1Password > Check for updates menu, or Preferences > Updates > Check now). It's staying around in the Recent Updates section of the dock because this is a new feature in macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) -- our advice is: don't click it. It won't hurt anything if you DO, but it also will result in an error if launched that way. If you open two or three applications (you can even close them again immediately), you can knock the 1Password updater out of its place in Recent Applications in the Dock, if it bothers you.

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member

I had this same problem too. But it was not being generated by clicking on Mojave's recent applications folder. It was being generated after every restart of my computer. It was driving me nuts and no solution was offered. That was a week ago. I returned to this thread today (Oct. 13) and I read the following...

Poelpetater: I have this issue as well, but since the Mojave update, the updater auto launches upon restart - every time - and then displays the "Updater Failed - Failed to find the version of installed 1Password application." error?

Poelpetater: Found and removed 1Password Updater from Login Items within Users & Groups in system preferences.

1Password Team Member: I don't know what would've put the updater into your Login Items list in System Preferences, but I'm glad to hear you were able to get it sorted.

I also don't know how it could have got into my Login Items list, but it did. In fact, it got into the Login Items list on all 4 of our Macs at home. So we were having this problem on all 4 Macs. Maybe Poelpetater and I are the only ones having the issue as a result of Login Items, but it may be worth 1Password giving this solution a bit more press.

Lastly, THANK YOU SO MUCH POELPETATER!

• Gaffy62
    Gaffy62
    Community Member

Hear hear - good to listen to your clients as they provide your livelihood!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MisterLuigi - I'm sorry for the trouble! If this were something 1Password was doing inadvertently - even to only some users - I'd expect a much larger inflow of customer support requests mentioning problems with it. So far, there has been only this thread, which leads me to suspect that 1Password Updater is not surreptitiously inserting itself into your Login Items category. I'm glad you found this thread, too. :)

• MisterLuigi
    MisterLuigi
    Community Member

@Lars Sounds reasonable to me! Just wanted to make sure this issue was really only confined to an incredibly small number of users. Looks like @Poelpetater and I are just lucky! Time to buy a lottery ticket!!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@MisterLuigi - thanks for understanding, and let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can assist with. :)

• Robert Osborne
    Robert Osborne
    Community Member

Can you change the message so that it says "you already have the latest version" like all other updater utilities do? It will save other people wasting their time to come here ...

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Robert Osborne - unfortunately not directly. The updater is actually a small, separate application that's never supposed to be accessed directly via the macOS UI. You access it from within 1Password for Mac itself by clicking 1Password > Check for updates. When you do that, we check for new versions and if none are found, you DO get such a message:

It's only if we find there is an update that this little updater app is called. So, in Mojave, when you have the "Show recent applications in Dock" box checked in System Preferences > Dock, each time you successfully update 1Password for Mac, you will see this little updater app in the Recent Applications section of the dock until such time as you open enough other apps (usually only two of three) to "bump" it far enough down the line to not appear in the dock any longer.

Our recommendation is either:

• Don't click the updater app from the Dock, but continue to check for applications as you always have in both 1Password and many other apps: from within the app itself, not by clicking the updater utility in the dock, or
    • Disable "Show recent applications in the dock" within System Preferences > Dock if you find the feature in general to be obtrusive/annoying/confusing.
  • rustyshamrock
    rustyshamrock
    Community Member

Just wanted to chime in as I had the same issue (and found this thread). I wanted to note that it is possible to drag that icon off the the dock, and if dragged far enough away it will get a "Remove" bubble. Releasing will then delete the icon from the dock. You don't have to wait for other apps to bump if off.

This discussion has been closed.