What does Safari integration actually mean?

steve28236
steve28236
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

1P release notes says this: Starting today 1Password has built-in support for the Safari web browser, meaning you’ll never again have to install a separate browser extension to fill your passwords, credit cards, and personal information while browsing the web.

What dies this actually mean? I looked on the 1P blog and it doesn't mention it anywhere I can find. I looked in the 1P Help and it looks like it hasn't been updated because it keeps referring to the browser extension.

I upgraded to Mojave and the 1P Browser extension was automatically disabled. So how do I fill my password out in Safari now? At the moment I'm opening up the app and copying and pasting everything over manually.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve23094: Indeed, Safari integration refers to the way 1Password can interface with the browser to allow you to use it to save/fill logins there, etc. It's not much of a difference to you, since it's changes under the hood to work with the newest version of Safari (and those in the future), so there won't be a blog post. Nevertheless, an important change. Otherwise 1Password won't work with Safari going forward. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@brenty So do I need to re-enable the browser extension to fill my passwords in? Because the release notes say I never need to do that again. It’s confusing.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@steve23094: That all depends on your setup. We don' have any special insight into or control over that. That would be creepy. :tongue: Do you have Safari 12 up to date? Do you have 1Password up to date? Do you have the 1Password extension enabled in Safari? If so, you probably just need to restart your Mac and you'll be good to go. Let me know how you get along. :)

• steve28236
    steve28236
    Community Member

@brenty So you do need the browser extension enabled? What was the point of the release notes saying you don’t need it then?

• t_moore
    t_moore
    Community Member

I've searched and found this thread as I have the exact same question. The release notes seem confusing, especially to a relatively new 1Password user like me ;) .

The release notes say:

• Starting today 1Password has built-in support for the Safari web browser, meaning you’ll never again have to install a separate browser extension to fill your passwords, credit cards, and personal information while browsing the web.

And also...

• Support for the Safari web browser is now built in to 1Password, meaning you’ll never have to install a separate extension again.

What are the implications of that? It sounds like a big change (and would be a great feature if true). Can I delete the 1Password extension in my Safari browser and just run the information between 1Password app and Safari?

• @t_moore,

if you're running 7.2 you should find that you actually can't remove the 1Password extension without removing the entire app. Its a different kind of extension than the old extension, its made up of native code and javascript, and it comes bundled into the app.

This discussion has been closed.