Weak Password in Android app but not in Windows App

Options
MartinMacke
MartinMacke
Community Member

I created a login with 1Password generating a password. This password is reported as weak in the Android app but seems to be ok in the Windows app.

How did this happen and how can I change it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• peri
    Options

Hi @MartinMacke. What version of 1Password are you using on Windows? Are you using a 1Password.com account, and if so, does the password strength there match what you see on either device?

• MartinMacke
    MartinMacke
    Community Member
    Options

I use the following versions:
    Androis 7.0.5
    iOS 7.2
    Windows 7.2.581

I generated the password using the Chrome plugin on my Windows machine. Both iOS and Windows report the password as ok, on Android this password is recognized as weak.

• MartinMacke
    MartinMacke
    Community Member
    Options

I also use a 1password.com account. On all devices and the web account it tells me the password strength is ok, only on Android there is the warning. I manage about 50 different logins and only one has this behaviour.

• peri
    Options

Thanks for the info, @MartinMacke. Was the password generated using the latest version of the 1Password extension on Windows or was it generated a while ago? Also, is there any chance that you had originally generated the password, but have since recreated the Login and copied the original password into it?

I think @jpgoldberg may be able to shed some light here.

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @MartinMacke. Password strength meters are a funny thing. In one sense what they are tasked with doing is impossible, but ideally ours should

1. Be consistent across all 1Password clients
    2. Know precisely the strength of a password that we generate.

Clearly we are not meeting either of those ideals. Part of that is a side effect of us being in the process of transitioning from one way of calculating strength to another with not every client all caught up. If you generated the password using a recent version of 1Password, we should calculate the strength precisely from the settings you gave the generator. Also, anything produced by our password generator should be very very strong unless it is something like a PIN.

So following up with what @peri asked, can you provide more information about how and where you generated that password? Would you mind generating another password the same way and posting it here? (Obviously don't use it for anything.) This will help me track down what is going on with this.

-j

• MartinMacke
    MartinMacke
    Community Member
    Options

I‘m a new user of 1Password. The password in question was created about two weeks ago. On the same day that password snyced with my iOS and Android device like many others. On the Android device it gave a warning that its weak. I changed the password npw, the password in question was: q-+ahOUp-dt=-RuT1Gn&I]3d

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    Options

the password in question was q-+ahOUp-dt=-RuT1Gn&I]3d

Well that's weird. It should have shown up as very strong everywhere. I don't know what went wrong, so I don't know what to say about this getting fixed, but we'll see if we can figure out what went wrong.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MartinMacke: Just to clarify, the one instance where a password like that should not show up as strong is if you'd added it to the item yourself, either by copying and pasting from somewhere else, or entering it manually. Can you confirm whether or not you did that? Either way, we have an inconsistency somewhere, but that would be a good starting point to help us track down just where.

• MartinMacke
    MartinMacke
    Community Member
    Options

What I did was the following: I installed the 1password app on Windows and its Chrome extension. I configured this login and many others, changed passwords for almost all my accounts. A day later or two I installed the 1password app on my iOS tablet, evertjhing fine. At the same day I installed the app on my Android phone, everything was fine despite that exactly this one login showed a warning that I used a weak password.

Now, since I changed the password on Windows it doesn't show the warning any longer. It shows however a warning that 2FA is not configrued but it is tagged as 2FA, the warning is not shown on iOS and Windows and other logins with the same tag do not show the warning.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@MartinMacke: Sorry for the confusion there. 1Password or Android doesn't support the "2FA" tag feature yet, but we'll be adding that in an update. I'll let the team know that would be helpful to you as well.

ref: android-174

This discussion has been closed.