Random extension crashes on Safari of 1PW 7.2.1

ssdevan45
ssdevan45
Community Member

This may be less than a useful post. I'm running Mojave and 1PW 7.2.1. I'm experiencing random crashes of the extension in Safari such that clicking on it does not bring up the extension window. Sometimes, I can restart 1PW and the extension again works. Occasionally, I have to reboot the machine, which I hate. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ssdevan45 - not that I'm aware of. I'm sorry for the trouble! Can you tell me what version of 1Password extension you find when you open Safari's Preferences > Extensions?

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ssdevan45 - that's all -- only 7.2.1? No older versions like 4.7.3.90 or earlier? If so, that's good. Please restart your Mac and try using 1Password normally -- and see what the results are. If there's no change in behavior, we may need to take a closer look. Thanks.

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Nope, no older versions. I removed the older 6.x version from Safari.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ssdevan45 - OK, thanks for the clarification -- it's not that I don't believe you, just making sure we haven't missed anything obvious before we move onward to more detailed investigation. To that end, have you restarted your Mac and checked the behavior?

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Yes, several times. I sent you the diagnostics yesterday using your diagnostic app.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ssdevan45 - if you sent in diagnostics report(s), you would've received an automated response from our BitBot assistant that contained your Support ID. Please post that ID here, so we can help connect the dots. I see you sent in diagnostics reports on Friday, but my colleague Kaitlyn assisted you successfully. Are you referring to a different set of diagnostics reports? Thanks for the clarification.

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Nope I haven't received an automated email back. I'll rerun at the next case and post here when I do.

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

I used 1passwordtroubleshooting.app to create the report.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ssdevan45 - ok. I'm still unable to find anything more recent than your conversation with Kaitlyn on Friday. If you sent it under a different email address, please don't post that here -- but you may want to look under that email inbox to see if you received a reply. If not, no worries -- you can create a new diagnostics report and send it in. You will receive a reply if you send one in. Thanks! :)

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Ok, will do. Next time it crashes I'll run the report. Thanks!!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good! :)

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Lars,
    1Password just crashed. I've just sent the email containing the diagnostics. I found that I can restart 1Password by going into the Activity Monitor and killing the 1Password process which is hung. Let me know if you get the email. I mention you in it. Thanks.

Steve

• @ssdevan45

I'm not seeing any recent emails from you. The last one I see is from October 5th. Could you please post the support ID you received when you sent the report? If you haven't received a support ID then we have not received your email. Please try sending it again (perhaps from a different email address).

Ben

• ssdevan45
    ssdevan45
    Community Member

Hey Ben,

KVZ-37646-348

Steve

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• justinf77
    justinf77
    Community Member

Was this ever resolved? I am having the exact same issue with random 1Password / Safari crashes on 7.2.1.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @justinf77! I'm sorry for the trouble. Can you tell us a little more about your setup, please?

1. What specific version of 1Password do you have installed
    2. What specific version of 1Password extension do you have installed
    3. What specific version of macOS do you have installed
    4. How are you syncing your data
    5. What specific steps are required to generate the problem? Or is it intermittent/no pattern?

Thanks.

• justinf77
    justinf77
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the quick reply!

1. 1Password 7.2.1
    2. 1Password extension 7.2.1
    3. Mojave 10.14
    4. Through my 1Password membership
    5. It generally happens in Safari when I use the shortcut to open 1Password Mini and log into a site. Once I press the shortcut, nothing happens, and I see in Activity Monitor that 1Password is crashing. As soon as I force quit it and reopen, then everything works perfectly. This only happens intermittently, but it does happen 2-3x per day on average so quite frustrating.
  • Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justinf77 - so, I think this sounds like an issue we've addressed in beta. If you're willing to try a beta version, you can download 1Password for Mac 7.2.2.BETA-4. Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then run the installer. Restart your Mac afterward just to be certain you're starting with a fresh state, and then we can see how (if) it works. If you're NOT willing to install a beta, you can wait until the stable release of 7.2.2 is out (shouldn't be TOO much longer, barring anything weird), and try it then.

• justinf77
    justinf77
    Community Member

@Lars - I think I'll hold off on installing the beta for now as it's nothing urgent. If 7.2.2 comes out and it doesn't fix the problem, I'll be sure to let you know. Thanks for your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@justinf77 - you're quite welcome. Definitely keep us looped in. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.