Where is my vault?

bobbyt
bobbyt
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Mac

I have a single vault on dropbox which I have been using for years.

After having problems I figured out the following:

1. All my iOS devices are syincing fine with my Dropbox vault.

2. NONE of my Macs with 1Password 7 is syncing with my dropbox vault. What really confuses the hell out of me is that 2 seperate computers have my password library that existed for years, yet neither is updating in ANY way.

The only way this is possible is if both machines at some point in time made a copy of this vault outside of dropbox, and have existed independantly since. Which explains a lot... The questions I have are:

1. Where is this vault on my system, as other than being named "Primary" (the name my dropbox based vault should have) 1Password gives me NO information about this vault.
  2. Why won't dropbox let me open a different vault (since there MUST be at least 2 on both my desktop systems, the one inside of dropbox & the one they coppied outside of dropbox)? The closest option it gives me is to create a new vault.
  3. Why can't 1Password recognize the fact that there is another vault on my system??
  4. How can I remove this coppied vault since I really only want 1, and only ever have wanted 1?

I see an option to enable sync from within the library. What scares me is this will overwrite the existing vault I have on Dropbox.

Of course since both desktop clients tell me neither has synced in over a year, I'm likely going to be wasting a hell of a lot of time trying to manually merge passwords (assuming I don't completely lose them in the process).

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.13
Sync Type: I don't know, it's not working

Comments

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member

So I made a backup of my Dropbox copy, and went though the sync option to select my existing vaults. While it did work, and did merge, I went from having just north of 400 logins to just south of 800, meaning I now have hundreds of duplicates to sort though and clean up...

This is a major screwup, because as far as I can tell, this is wha the app did:

1. Duplicated my existing vault from Dropbox, creating a local copy.
    2. Gave that copy the same name and contents of my previously syncing copy, giving the appearance it was the same vault.
    3. Gave me a list of what appeared to be ALL vaults on my system, but in fact only displayed the local copy.
    4. Gave me no means of determining where the vault it was using actually existed (i.e. outside of dropbox).
    5. Gave me no logical means of figuring out that it did all of the above, giving me the impression for more than a year everything was working as it always had.

My wife kept asking me why things weren't syncing. I normally didn't dig deep into testing when she said this so I've been telling her she has to be wrong. It wasn't until I did a test between each device one by one that I tracked down what was happening... My best guess is this was done to try to push the convince of your subscription service, but if your going to sell a copy that works outside the service you shouldn't be sabotaging a paid product.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbyt - I'm sorry for the trouble!

My best guess is this was done to try to push the convince of your subscription service...

It's not a bad guess, if you tend to ascribe cynical motives to people/companies, but it's not accurate. Issues like this have happened since the beginning in standalone 1Password -- and that's one of the primary reasons we built 1password.com: because (as a casual glance through this forum, now or historically will reveal) problems like these consume most of our (and our customers!) time. We knew there was a better and more stable way to use 1Password, but we'd have to make it ourselves. So we did. And although it's not perfect (no software is), the incidence of this kind of intricate and complicated sync issue just doesn't exist with 1password.com accounts. This issue is a result of the upgrade to 1Password 7 for Mac (I suspect, without being able to see directly). One of the changes in 1Password 7 for Mac was that, after more than ten years, we completed the rollout of the new OPVault format of sync keychain to all platforms and thus formally retired the older Agile Keychain format. Depending on how you went about trying to update to version 7, the first run of 1Password 7 for Mac should have detected that you had sync keychains using the older Agile Keychain format, and told you they needed to be converted. It sounds as if 1Password 7 for Mac successfully imported your older, deprecated Agile Keychains but that the switch to the newer OPVault format may have been either canceled or not completed? And then went unnoticed for a period of time?

You should try using the Help > Tools > Clean up Duplicate Items menu (make sure you're viewing a single vault, not the All Vaults view, or this won't work) to see if that gives you a leg up on removing your duplicated items. I'm not certain how well that will work, but it may be helpful. If it doesn't work very well (which is possible, since these items very well may have different UUIDs now), then we may have another possible alternative, which would be to roll back to the previous state via a backup and then try sorting out only those items which were modified in the time between now and when you installed version 7, exporting them, deleting your data, re-syncing from Dropbox, then importing/merging only those modified items. if you'd like to pursue that, let me know -- we'd need to take a closer look at the state of your data on all devices before I know if such an approach would even be feasible.

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member

If the conversion was canceled or not completed, it happened 3 separate times... Because I verified 3 separate systems had made local duplicates of my library...

What is seemingly odd in this case is that when I switched my first machine back over to my Drop Box copy of my library the other day, I wasn't prompted to convert it.

So seemingly one of the 3 did convert the library successfully, but still duplicated it and worked locally anyway...

• bobbyt
    bobbyt
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I will add, I'm not exactly a novice here, on 1Password or computers in general...

The first version of 1Password I purchased a license for was 3.5. I have purchased a total of 10 different licenses, between versions & platforms...

I've been using macOS since it was called System 6, am employed as a software developer, and am an all around techie...

Admittedly I make mistakes (seemingly more than the average user), but it usually doesn't take this extent just to figure out a problem actually exists (let alone what it specifically is).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bobbyt - if you've got multiple devices, what you'll want to make sure to do is check that each vault on each device is syncing with the same keychain in Dropbox. I'd start by opening your Dropbox folder on one device and looking through it -- all of the folders, not just the root folder, because sometimes we put keychains in other places, like /Apps/1password or elsewhere -- for anything labeled either of the following:

1. *.agilekeychain
    2. *.opvault
    3. *.legacyagilekeychain

Any #3 keychains would indicate that the conversion process took place at least on one device, as that is what version 7 renames the older .agilekeychain files to during conversion. That's probably the best place to start on this troubleshooting article, but if the problem isn't immediately apparent, go through the rest of the steps as well.

This discussion has been closed.