Could onepassword4-helper be affecting the boot time on my MacBook Air?

kohls
kohls
Community Member

My MacBook was slow to boot after updating to Mojave. I given this advice: "Try removing the following from the User Login Items to see if it makes any difference in the boot time: 6.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper. app)" Is it safe for me do this?.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: OS 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:My MacBook was slow to boot after updating to Mojave. I was given this advice: "Try removing the following from the User Login Items to see if it makes any difference in the boot time: 6.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword4-helper. app)" Is it safe for me to do this?%22%20Is%20it%20safe%20for%20me%20to%20do%20this%3F)

Comments

• You can turn off the helper with the setting: 1Password Preferences > General > Always keep 1Password mini running

This process communicates with the web browser extensions. So with it disabled, you will have to keep 1Password 6 launched in order to use the browser extension.

It's likely that this slow boot was a one-time occurrence. Try rebooting a few more times and see if the problem reoccurs.

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member

The slow boot has been happening repeatedly for some time now. I'd rather put up with the slow boot than disable 1Password mini. I use it constantly!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kohls - you might try removing 1Password 6 for Mac and re-installing it. I can't say for certain what might be going on with your specific setup without taking a closer look, but if something's become corrupted along the way with the Mojave upgrade, a fresh copy might do the trick. Make sure you Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) first, then delete the 1Password 6 for Mac app. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash, then restart your Mac.

Don't worry; your data aren't stored within the app itself, so you're not at risk of losing any of it if you use the method I described. You can grab a new copy of the installer if you need it at our downloads page, down near the bottom of the page, under the "Using an older computer?" section. Let us know if you run into any problems, or if the problem remains.

• kohls
    kohls
    Community Member

Thanks. I checked with Apple Support Communities and several people are having the same problem after the Mojave update so it's unlikely that 1Password is the problem. I was advised to wait until Apple puts out an update to Mojave.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@kohls - thanks for the update! That sounds like perhaps the best plan; let us know how things turn out. :)

This discussion has been closed.