Each time 1password automatically closes, I have to refind the window the page I had open.

ymmij
ymmij
Community Member

I'm sure that the default should be that 1Password opens up the last page I had visited. I would expect this to be the case for the automatic closing as well as when you quit and restart the application. Is something broken?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:return to same page after 1password closes

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ymmij - no, that's functioning as intended. At least, if I'm understanding you correctly, it is. When you say "automatically closes," you mean locks itself after reaching your set timeout? 1Password for Mac should never actually close itself without user interaction. And when you say "quit and restart," how specifically are you quitting? From the 1Password menu? Using a key combination? Something else?

• ymmij
    ymmij
    Community Member

Yes "automatically closes" means locks itself after reaching my set timeout. And by "quit and restart" I mean a normal command-Q quit.
    I don't see why 1password doesn't reopen to the where it was before closing.

In the last two days I have had to be on an overseas call with a bank. 1password became highly annoying when it would automatically lock on me each 5 minutes. I had to use the password to open it up, and also refind the page on was on. By itself it does not seem a large problem, but when you also have a number of other applications and documents open for reference...it collectively adds up to annoying.

Yes, I could override the timeout in preferences, but pretty likely I will forget to put it back to normal at the end of my session.

Would be a lot simpler if 1password just returned to the state it was in last time it was accessed.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ymmij - thanks for the clarification.

1password became highly annoying when it would automatically lock on me each 5 minutes.

You can set the timeout and other security settings in Preferences > Security. If you're going to be finding yourself (temporarily or regularly) in a situation where you'll need to have 1Password open for long periods of time without even touching it, you can turn off "Lock when screen saver is activated" and "Lock on sleep" and set the timer for "Lock after computer is idle for ___ minutes" as high as 300.

In order for 1Password to "remember" what item was open, it would have to be referenced in some way. This isn't an easy thing to do since the locked state of 1Password renders its contents an unreadable mass of ciphertext; we would have to store some information about whatever it was you were viewing last in unencrypted memory, in order for it to "survive" from session to session, and that's a risk we're not willing to take, as it opens up a security hole.

• ymmij
    ymmij
    Community Member

Understandable about 'remembering'. I will experiment with the other setting. Thanks for the help.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ymmij - you're quite welcome! Drop by anytime if there's anything you need assistance with or have questions regarding. :)

This discussion has been closed.