Why is Passport always at the top of the New Item list?

mschmitt
mschmitt
Community Member

In the macOS desktop application (not the mini window), you can add a new item via the "+" button next to the Search box. If I click "+", the list is divided into two parts:

• Passport
  • (a line)
  • The other types of items

Why is Passport always at the top of the list?

I would have expected it to reflect which category of item I'm currently looking at. That is, if I'm viewing Logins and press click on +, the Login would be at the top. Or, the most recent item type created. Or something else. But not Passports.

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mschmitt - that certainly shouldn't be the case. The first thing I'd ask you to do is update to the current version of 1Password 7 for Mac (7.2.1). Click 1Password > Check for Updates. Then check it again, and if the problem still exists, can you include a screenshot of what you're seeing? Please include exact steps to reproduce the issue as well. Thanks!

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

I'm on 7.1.2, which it says is the most current version.

I figured out how to reproduce it.

1. Open the 1Password app.
    2. Select an item type in the side bar. For example, select Drivers Licenses.
    3. Close 1Password.
    4. Open 1Password again.
    5. Select a different item type, e.g. Softare Licenses
    6. Click the new item "+" button.

The result is that the New Item list will have whatever items was selected when 1Password was last quit. You can switch between any of the categories, but the top item will not change.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mschmitt -- thanks for the update. I'm still not sure what you mean by "close 1Password" (your #3 step - did you use File > Quit? A keyboard command? If so, what?), but I'm unable to replicate that behavior here with the same setup. Please restart your Mac, and try it again. If the behavior continues, let me know specific steps (clarify the above, please). Thanks! :)

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

I just rebooted another machine and did the following:

1. Open 1Password 7 by double-clicking the app in the Applications folder.
    2. Verified: for each Category in the sidebar:
      a. Clicked on category, then
      b. Clicked on "+" button.
      In each case, the menu had no separator bar. It started with Bank Account.
      Note: Is that the expected result? Or is it supposed to put the current Category at the top of the list?
    3. At the end of that part of the test, the currently selected category is Social Security Number.
    4. 1Password 7 > Quit 1Password
    5. Launch 1Password again (as in step #1).
    6. The currently selected category is still Social Security Number.
    7. Click "+". It displays the new item menu with Social Security Number at the top of the list.
    8. Repeat step #2. This time, for each selected category, the list has Social Security Number at the top of the list.
    9. Select Credit Cards.
    10. Quit, relaunch.
    11. This time Credit Cards is on the top of the new item list, for each selected category.

However, note that before I rebooted that machine, I checked 1Password. And that time I got different results: it still was doing weird things with the new item list, but it wasn't consistent. That is, that time some categories displayed the wrong item at the top of the list but other categories displayed either nothing or the right category (I don't remember which, just that it wasn't consistent).

So there's definitely something weird going on.

FWIW:

• The machine I tested on this time is running Sierra.
    • This is the stand-alone licensed 1Password; I don't have a 1Password account.
    • As you can see from the screen shot, it is syncing with Dropbox.
    • File > New Items does not display the same list as the "+" new item button.
  • mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

Am I testing on the wrong version?

1Password > Check for Updates says "You are up to date", and About 1Password says I have 7.1.2. But I see on the blog that there's a version 7.2. Is that Mohave only?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@mschmitt: It sounds like you may be using a local vault, which has that old behaviour. The list should not change based on your selection (it should always give you the same choices), but we haven't gone back and retroactively fixed that for local vaults. Unless I'm misunderstanding, you should be able to just select the item type you want from the list to create a new item using that template. Let me know if you're experiencing something different.

However, the issue you're having updating is an odd one. The best thing to do would be to drag 1Password to the Trash, restart your Mac, and then install a fresh copy from our website:

https://1password.com/downloads/

Does that work for you?

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

That installed 7.2.1. Still wondering why the update check doesn't know about that version.

Now the "+" button displays the same list as File > New Item: 9 items, separator, 8 items. It looks like it is putting the categories that already exist above the line.

The testing I did now shows consistent results with the "+" button.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

That installed 7.2.1. Still wondering why the update check doesn't know about that version.

@mschmitt: It definitely does, or no one would be running the latest, including me. Not sure what happened on your system though.

Now the "+" button displays the same list as File > New Item: 9 items, separator, 8 items. It looks like it is putting the categories that already exist above the line. The testing I did now shows consistent results with the "+" button.

Ah, that's much better. Glad to hear that everything is back to normal after updating. Cheers! :)

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

Now I know why it didn't auto-update. I made the horrible mistake of updating via download to 7.2.1 on my High Sierra machine, and now every few seconds a modal popup appears telling me to upgrade Safari. I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL SAFARI 12.

The new version should only be using the "built in support for the Safari web browser" if the user has Safari 12. If the user has Safari 11 it should be using the extensions as normal.

• mschmitt
    mschmitt
    Community Member

On Sierra, it is able to use the "built in support" with Safari 11. It is only on High Sierra that it is complaining about the browser version. Which, by the way, makes Safari completely unusable. Because, (dismiss popup), it (dismiss popup) keeps (dismiss popup) pop (dismiss popup) ping up (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) with (dismiss popup) every (dismiss popup) char (dismiss popup) act (dismiss popup) er you (dismiss popup) type (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup).

I was able to get 1Password downgraded on one machine, after a struggle. Now trying on the Sierra machine to keep the version in sync, even though it is working there.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Now I know why it didn't auto-update. I made the horrible mistake of updating via download to 7.2.1 on my High Sierra machine, and now every few seconds a modal popup appears telling me to upgrade Safari. I DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL SAFARI 12.

@mschmitt: Okay. That's up to you I guess. But by the same token, we don't support outdated browsers.

The new version should only be using the "built in support for the Safari web browser" if the user has Safari 12. If the user has Safari 11 it should be using the extensions as normal.

No. Apple will be closing down their Safari Extensions Gallery with the legacy .safariextz extensions in the near future, so we're not going to pretend to support that either.

On Sierra, it is able to use the "built in support" with Safari 11. It is only on High Sierra that it is complaining about the browser version. Which, by the way, makes Safari completely unusable. Because, (dismiss popup), it (dismiss popup) keeps (dismiss popup) pop (dismiss popup) ping up (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) with (dismiss popup) every (dismiss popup) char (dismiss popup) act (dismiss popup) er you (dismiss popup) type (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup) (dismiss popup). I was able to get 1Password downgraded on one machine, after a struggle. Now trying on the Sierra machine to keep the version in sync, even though it is working there.

It's only going to get harder. You should consider upgrading since that gets you important security improvements too, or using another browser at least, since there aren't similar changes on the horizon for Firefox and Chrome, if you're intent on not updating Safari for some reason.

This discussion has been closed.