License syncing on MacOS?

jlien
jlien
Community Member

I recently purchased 1Password 7 (new customer here), but opted for a license for now. I installed it on one of my macs, and then subsequently on my other Macs/iOS devices. Since i'm not using a membership I'm assuming that the way this app syncs vaults, and recognizes that I have a Mac license is through the sync tab in preferences. I'm using the iCloud option. The MacBook Pro that i'm working on shows some of the items I've entered on the other machine, but says read only. Am I not able to fully use the app, and add password entries etc. on as many of my personal macs as I want, or am I missing verifying my license or something on these other machines that I've installed the desktop app on?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @jlien! Thanks for purchasing 1Password 7 for Mac. And yes, because you chose the standalone license option, you'll need to set up advanced syncing yourself in the Sync tab of Preferences. 1Password for iOS doesn't require a license in the same way that 1Password for Mac (and 1Password for Windows) does, although there is an option to purchase the Pro features as a $9.99 in-app purchase, if you want them. Your license for 1Password 7 for Mac allows you to license version 7 on as many Macs as you own/use...but you do need to install it there. You should have received an email from FastSpring with your license file; just open that email on those other Macs and (with 1Password 7 for Mac running) click to download the license to your Downloads folder, then double-click the license itself in Downloads to install it. If you still see "Read Only" that means you haven't done this successfully yet. Hope this helps! :)

• jlien
    jlien
    Community Member

I have done as you said and it still says read only. I found the email with the license download link, downloaded it, opened it...and it prompted me to choose which application to open it with. I selected 1Password, it then populated in the app, under software licenses with all my particulars (order date etc etc) but it did nothing with regard to the ability to add passwords, and still says read only under any of the other entries.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlien - did you download 1Password 7 for Mac from the Mac App Store? If so, that'll be the reason: the Mac App Store version is subscription-only; you need the version of 1Password downloaded directly from our downloads page in order to apply a standalone license. If this is the case, Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then drag the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 to the trash. After that, download and install our version, and you should be able to install the license. Let us know how that works for you.

• jlien
    jlien
    Community Member

That was my error. Downloaded the app from your site on the primary machine, and then used the app store on the others. I deleted the other one and followed the process above and they are working now. Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jlien - glad it worked! It can get a bit confusing, with two different versions in two different places, each functioning slightly differently. You should be all set now. :)

This discussion has been closed.