Watchtower not visible to check reused passwords

cny
cny
Community Member

Since updated from ver 6 to Ver 7, my passwords say they have been reused even though they aren't.
One solution suggested was to check Watchtower, but I don't seem to see that on my app.

Are these considered reused because they were imported from Ver 6?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cny - no, not re-used because they were imported. That's not what flags passwords as re-used. However, if you've recently (perhaps as part of upgrading to 7.0) created a 1password.com account as well, then you may have passwords duplicated because they're in both the account's Personal or Private vault and the older, standalone Primary vault. Could that be possible? If you visit Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? Number and names of the vaults?

Regarding Watchtower, if you're using version 7.2.1, you have Watchtower. You should see it in the sidebar of the main 1Password window (might need to click the caret to drop-down the menu). You can also find the controls in Preferences > Watchtower. Let me know what you discover.

• cny
    cny
    Community Member

Yes, you're correct. I have a ver 7 Vault with two sub-vaults (one named Private and one named Shared) and a Primary Vault as well. All four are checked in Preferences.

To complicate things, I just bought an add'l computer at the same time I upgraded to Ver 7, so maybe the Shared refers to my new computer?

Should I just uncheck the Primary vault left over from Ver 6?

I did discover Watchtower by accidentally the down arrow. However, I see only the icons, not what they refer to.

Thanks for your help!

• cny
    cny
    Community Member

I tried unchecking the old ver.6 Primary vault in Preferences, but I have the "Reused Password" message on many of my logins.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cny - the Reused Passwords section of Watchtower looks at all vaults, even those you have specifically excluded from the All Vaults view. The idea here is to find instances of re-used passwords -- because that's a bad practice -- so this particular view does not respect those settings because it's important to find instances of re-used passwords wherever they are.

What's important here is that you remove the older Primary vault -- assuming you no longer need it. Private and Shared refer to the vaults in your 1Password Families account -- for that's apparently the kind of account you opened (or joined). Private is where you'd put your personal items that no one else needs to use (your individual email account credential(s), your Facebook Login, etc), and Shared is a family-wide vault that everyone in your 1Password Families account has access to, so it's a great place for things everyone needs -- the garage door codes, shared checking account data, the family Netflix password, etc. What I'd recommend is that you switch to the Primary vault and check its contents against what's in the Personal vault. If you've duplicated your items - i.e., the same things in two places, you'll need to make sure you've got all the updated copies in the Personal vault before removing Primary.

Visit your 1Password Families account in a browser and see if you're able to sign in there. Let me know how that goes, and we'll continue from there.

• cny
    cny
    Community Member

Yes, you're correct- I have a family plan.

1) So far, I've deleted all the items in the old Primary vault and cleaned up my new Private Vault.
    The old Primary vault is now empty and I tried to delete it, but after typing in the Primary vault name in the popup window and hitting Delete, it says the Primary Vault cannot be deleted.

2) How do I add new tags and then add them to the appropriate items?

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cny - I'm sorry for the difficulty. If you'll open 1Password's Preferences > Advanced and UNcheck the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts," this should delete your now-empty and no-longer-needed Primary vault.

Regarding the tags? Use these instructions to add tags (even nested tags, if that's your thing!) to items.

• cny
    cny
    Community Member

I got rid of the Primary Vault and created new tags.

Is there any need to keep the "Imported from Ver 6" tag?
    If not, how do I delete it -- or delete any other tag?

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@cny - unfortunately, that's easier said than done at this exact moment; tags are being reworked, and at the moment there's no ability to bulk-delete tags. The only way to remove a tag entirely is by removing every instance of it in all 1Password items. And that's a difficult thing to do if you have tags that are on every item. We are working to actively restore the ability to remove a tag directly from the sidebar, and until then, I apologize for the inconvenience.

This discussion has been closed.