Will 1Password version 6.8.8 work with Mohave?

EssDeeEff47
EssDeeEff47
Community Member

I have been reading about Mohave and saw the recent AgileBits email about the wonderful, great things your latest update does. I notice that in the discussion threads there have been a number of problems for some users. I am one of the people who found it quite unfortunate that you ask me to move to a monthly subscription after what I paid for my desktop version for my iMac. As such, I have remained with version 6.8.8.

Given the challenges experienced by users who upgraded to Mohave and also have the most up to date version of 1Password (7.x and above), I want to know if version 6.8.8 will continue to work with Mohave.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @EssDeeEff47! First of all, I'd recommend you upgrade to the most-recent version of 1Password 6 for Mac, which is 6.8.9.

Next, you're not being asked to "move to a monthly subscription." You're invited to switch to a 1password.com membership, yes, because it's by far the most stable and versatile method of using 1Password for the vast majority of users. But it's not required: we're also offering standalone licenses for 1Password 7 for Mac for purchase. Right now, they're at the launch special of $49.99, over 23% off the eventual retail price of $64.99. Let me know if you'd like instructions for that.

Beyond those observations, yes, version 6 will continue to work with Mojave for now. I can't say what changes Apple might make down the road, but I know of nothing that would prevent users from using 1Password 6 for Mac in Mojave that's already "in the pipeline," with one exception: if you are a Safari user, Apple have made significant changes in the type of extensions that can be used in Safari 12, which comes bundled with Mojave. In short, the older .safariextz-style extension that previous versions of Safari used has been replaced with the new Safari App Extension. Version 6 of 1Password for Mac does not and will not use this version. That would mean, to use version 6 in Mojave, you'd need to use Firefox or Chrome or Opera (or a few other variants such as Vivaldi or Brave).

Other than that, however, the only additional thing I'd say is that we can't, as a security company, recommend as any kind of long-term strategy that people intentionally stick with a legacy version of our software that's no longer receiving development attention. Hope this all helps -- let us know if you have any follow-up questions. :)

• Jayess
    Jayess
    Community Member

I too am running version 6.8.8. and have been having trouble since I upgraded to Mojave. Autofill isn't working so I'm having to copy/paste my passwords! ☹️

• Jayess
    Jayess
    Community Member

Hi Lars, will a new standalone licence be required with every future 1Password update, e.g., when version 8 eventually become available?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Jayess!

...will a new standalone licence be required with every future 1Password update, e.g., when version 8 eventually become available?

Probably, yes -- we've historically been pretty generous with upgrades, but overall, we follow the software industry standard for licenses: free updates in-version (like from 7.1 to 7.2) but full-version upgrades (like from 7.x to 8.0) require the purchase of a new license.

Regarding filling your data, is the 1Password extension in Safari's Preferences > Extensions installed and active? If not, you can get a copy from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Hope that's helpful.

• rdforbes
    rdforbes
    Community Member

Hi Lars, above you stated "I'd recommend you upgrade to the most-recent version of 1Password 6 for Mac, which is 6.8.9." I have 6.8.8 from the Mac App Store; how do I get 6.8.9? Also, will I lose anything by moving from 6.8.8 to 6.8.9 (auto fill, etc.)? Thanks.

• EssDeeEff47
    EssDeeEff47
    Community Member

The question from rdforbes is spot on. I have received no update notifications to go from 6.8.8 to 6.8.9. Why not post updates to the app store if it is available?

On a separate note, I have multiple Macs of varying age. One is not eligible for a Mojave update, but has 1Password 6.8.8. Others are newer and thus capable. Do all of the computers need to be on the same version of 1Password in order to synch information? Or, even, the same Apple OS version? How many separate desktops/notebooks can use the subscription version of 1Password under the same license? Many emerging subscription licenses (Microsoft, Norton Security, etc.) offer service/ protection for multiple devices (often up to five devices).

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rdforbes - it's been a while since I updated the Mac App Store version, and obviously I can't download an older version than current from the Mac App Store just like you can't, but I did just now go back and re-install 1Password 6 for Mac from the Mac App Store, and it gave me version 6.8.9, so I would assume you could check for updates and just use the Mac App Store update process. It won't remove any features.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@EssDeeEff47 - we do post updates there. 6.8.9 isn't a critical update, it's just the most recent one. I would think you'd be able to check for updates and be able to install it. If not, you can Quit 1Password and the Mini by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) and then drag 6.8.8 to the trash, then re-install from the Purchased tab of the Mac App Store -- I just did that, and got 6.8.9.

Sync compatibility isn't determined by version, but by using the same sync method. In other words, if you use Dropbox as your sync method on all devices, you can (with some exceptions) sync everywhere There are indeed some much-older versions of 1Password that use a now-deprecated Dropbox API, so those don't work...but there's not any hard-and-fast rule that says you have to use the same version of 1Password or even of macOS on each device. We do try to maintain compatibility as much as possible, but there are times when technologies become obsolete by Apple's hand or just by the passing of time. Within broad limits, though, things tend to be compatible.

With a 1password.com membership, you can install the latest 1Password app (or the most-recent one that will run) on as many Macs as you own/use, and sign right into your account.

This discussion has been closed.