Converting two 1Password 6 accounts with a shared vault to family subscription membership

sunjunkie
sunjunkie
Community Member

I am moving my husband and I from 1Password 6 to a 1Password 7 family membership. Currently, I have a personal vault and I also share my husband's vault. I just installed on my Mac and the installation created 2 vaults in my account - my Personal vault and another one which was my husband's vault that I had access to. My question is what happens when I invite him to the family account? His vault is already part of my account. Can I just share that upgraded vault with him rather than doing a 2nd upgrade on his vault? Any issues to be aware of?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mojave
Sync Type: membership
Referrer: forum-search:converting 2 1password accounts to family subscription membership

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sunjunkie: Honestly, if you're okay with sharing everything, you could share an account. But I do mean everything. Some folks are okay with that. Personally, I prefer to have a Master Password of my own choosing, which only I know, and a Personal/Private vault which only I can access, and then just share other vaults with my family. It's really up to you. Let me know what you think and we'll go from there. :)

• sunjunkie
    sunjunkie
    Community Member

Sorry for the silence - I haven't been able to get to this. My question is really about the upgrade itself. We will each have our own account in a family membership but I'm just wondering how to easily move him to my family membership since his private vault is already there in my account. I guess I should remove his vault entirely from my current membership account and then migrate him. It's likely that he has changed some passwords in his vault since my trial membership started anyway so his vault in my account won't be up-to-date.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sunjunkie: That sounds like a good plan. If he's still using his original vault, signing into a new 1Password.com account on that device will prompt to migrate the data and delete the original vault. :)

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member

I have a similar situation.
    My wife and I each have our own 1Password 6 accounts which we use separately on our devices, but do have a Shared Vault for families items. I am now considering getting a Families account in order to coordinate my mother's passwords. So I have a few logistics questions:
    1) Can my mother be the subscriber to the Families account and I be the Admin? Or do I have to pay if I am ultimately going to coordinate everything?
    2) Will my wife and I be able to seamlessly transfer our Personal vaults to Families, and then maintain our Shared vault as a collaborative vault in Families?
    3) Will my mother be able to transfer all of her passwords from Safari brewer saved passwords to 1Password? Is there any export and import process so she doesn't have to type them all?
    4) Once Families is set up, I will want full access to all of my mother's passwords to help her get organized and secure. Does that mean she will not have anything in her Private Vault and will instead have everything in a Vault that only she and I have access to? Can I make that her default vault?
    5) If there are a few of my mother's passwords that I want to also share with my wife (e.g. router), will that necessitate another vault with all 3 of us? Or can I easily manipulate which passwords are share with which family members?

Sorry to pose all of these questions in someone else's forum. I can start a new thread if that is preferable.
    Thanks,
    RJ

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

1) Can my mother be the subscriber to the Families account and I be the Admin? Or do I have to pay if I am ultimately going to coordinate everything?

@gogogut: The account creator will be an Organizer and will be the one responsible for billing. However, there are three ways your mother could pay for the account even if you're the one responsible for it:

• Give you an "authorized user" credit card for her own account. We do this in my family mainly for emergencies, but my dad also uses one of my accounts for certain kinds of purchases since I've got some additional benefits on that account. Not something everyone would be comfortable with, but it can be handy.
    • Enter the payment information into the account herself sometime when you're together. You would not be able to get the payment details back out later, so that would be safe the two of you aren't comfortable sharing that information. The full account number is not shown, for example.
    • Purchase a gift card and give that to use to pay for the account: https://1password.com/giftcards/

2) Will my wife and I be able to seamlessly transfer our Personal vaults to Families, and then maintain our Shared vault as a collaborative vault in Families?

Yes. The one thing you may need to consider though is that the default Shared vault in Families is accessible to all family members you invite. If you're okay with that, no problem. If not, you should create another vault which is shared between only you and your wife. Any additional vaults you create can be shared with one, all, or none of your loved ones.

3) Will my mother be able to transfer all of her passwords from Safari brewer saved passwords to 1Password? Is there any export and import process so she doesn't have to type them all?

Safari saves passwords in the system Keychain, and 1Password cannot access data there except what it has saved there itself. There also isn't really a way to export the data. However, @MrC ’s converter can be helpful, as there's a script that can be used for that purpose, and then get it into 1Password's native 1PIF format to import. Otherwise, she could save the login credentials for each site as she logs in using the 1Password desktop extension.

4) Once Families is set up, I will want full access to all of my mother's passwords to help her get organized and secure. Does that mean she will not have anything in her Private Vault and will instead have everything in a Vault that only she and I have access to? Can I make that her default vault?

You could do that, but it sounds like it may be better to invite her as a guest. She would then have access to only a single vault you share with her.

5) If there are a few of my mother's passwords that I want to also share with my wife (e.g. router), will that necessitate another vault with all 3 of us? Or can I easily manipulate which passwords are share with which family members?

Sharing is done using vaults, which are each encrypted separately. You could also give your wife access to the vault you share with your mother though.

I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• gogogut
    gogogut
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response.
    It sounds like it will be easier to minimize the number of vaults I have to coordinate by having all 3 of us share the vault with my mother's data, and then share another one just with my wife. Almost all of our data will be captured in those two vaults, though each individual still could keep some in a private vault if needed (e.g., work stuff).
    If I do it this way, can my wife set her account to default to search our shared account rather than drawing from my mother's shared vault? In other words, when she looks up a password, it doesn't also pull up my mother's.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the quick response.

@gogogut: You're welcome! :)

It sounds like it will be easier to minimize the number of vaults I have to coordinate by having all 3 of us share the vault with my mother's data, and then share another one just with my wife. Almost all of our data will be captured in those two vaults, though each individual still could keep some in a private vault if needed (e.g., work stuff).

Indeed, I think it's best to keep it as simple as possible, unless there's a specific need for additional vaults.

If I do it this way, can my wife set her account to default to search our shared account rather than drawing from my mother's shared vault? In other words, when she looks up a password, it doesn't also pull up my mother's.

This isn't something that's handled at the account level. I think some people would like that, but that would make it really easy to "lose" vaults. Instead, the All Vaults feature in the apps allows for specific vaults to be hidden, and a default vault can be set as well. That should help. :)

This discussion has been closed.