Oops. Combined two accounts

dwbark
dwbark
Community Member
edited October 2018 in Families

Just upgraded today to version 7. I should have been more careful - my account, and my wife’s, are now melded into one because I didn’t get the family aspect. The legacy and new vaults seem to have all the data, but I’m wondering if I can turn back the process and once again have two separate accounts?
Sync’d one Mac, two iPads, two android phones.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: latest, on all
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dwbark: It isn't possible to "merge" accounts. Can you tell me specifically what you did? What are the steps you took? That will help me suggest next steps.

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

OK, let’s see if I can replicate what I did. Both me, and my wife had separate, stand alone vaults, version 6. I started on my laptop (Mac, lastest OS) with the transition to the subscription version 7, family edition. As I started the process, I missed one of the first prompts to...transfer data? Not sure. It stated that I could do it later. I proceeded with the process, everything was good. I then used the sign in address, email, secret key, and master password to update my other devices - using the cool QR scan feature. I updated my iPad and Android phone, as well as both of those of my wife’s. I did not request a family invitation for her anytime during this process. So now, I see both her, and my, info all combined - naturally - as that’s the way I proceeded.
    Added to this frustration is that I seem to have a combination of legacy and new vaults - I’m not sure what to delete to streamline things. Honestly, it wouldn’t be the worst thing for us to combine our vaults. I could actively maintain passwords, and they are there in case one of us gets hit my a meteor.
    Thoughts? (Besides, “What a frigging idiot?”)
    🙂

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dwbark: Hmm. First, you're not an idiot. It sounds like, while most folks probably would be horrified at merging everything, you'd sort of be okay with that. So maybe you did the smart thing — provided your wife agrees to that! :lol:

Second, and I'm sorry to drag this out, there's one crucial thing I'm not clear on: are you and your wife using the very same 1Password.com account credentials — Master Password, Secret Key, etc? If so (and you're both okay with having access to all of each other's data), then it's not really a problem. You probably just need to create some additional vaults in order to organize things better:

Create and share vaults

However, if either of you would prefer to have your own Private/Personal vault which only you can access, and/or a Master Password of your choosing, it would be best to invite her to setup her own user account as part of your 1Password Families plan:

Invite your family

Anyone you invite will have access to the default Shared vault, so that's a great place to put "family wide" stuff. But you can also create other vaults and share them with some, all, or none of your family members. Either way, you just need to put the appropriate data in the vault with the person(s) who need to access it.

This is a good overview of 1Password Families in general:

About 1Password Families

But let me know if you — or your loved ones — have any other questions along the way. :)

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

Yeah, we are good with having one common vault. I’m including a screen shot here of my vaults listing, to see if you have any recommends for “pruning.”

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@dwbark: Then, if you're also okay with using the same Master Password, you could just put everything in Private and remove the rest. Let me know what you think.

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

What is the process to do that?

• Hi, @dwbark.

There are two parts you'll want to do for your extra vaults. First, we'll make sure all of your items are moved over.

1. In 1Password, tap the "Categories" tab.
    2. Tap the vault switcher and select the "1Password" vault under "On my iPad".
    3. Tap "All Items". If there are no items there, skip the rest of the steps in this section.
    4. Tap "Select Items" at the top of the list. You may have to scroll above the top of the list to see this option.
    5. Now you'll see a circle next to each item and one at the very top above the list. Tap the one at the top above the list to select all the items.
    6. Tap "Move..."
    7. You'll see your list of vaults again. Tap "Private".

Now everything is moved out of your "1Password" vault into your "Private" vault. Repeat the above steps for the "Primary" vault to move all of those items to your "Private" vault.

Once everything is moved, you can just delete those two vaults.

1. Tap the Settings tab in 1Password, then "Vaults", then "1Password".
    2. Near the bottom you'll see a field labeled "Items" with a number. That number should be 0. If it's not, go back to the first section and make sure everything got moved out.
    3. After "Items" you'll see a "Delete Vault" button. Assuming there are no items in the vault, press "Delete Vault" and follow the on-screen instructions.

Repeat the steps above for the "Primary" vault to delete it too.

Now you should have just the "Private" and "Shared" vaults inside your family account. I would leave both of those in case you decide to invite family members later since you can't restore the "Shared" vault once you've deleted it. If you do invite more family members later, or even invite your wife separately to the account so that she gets her own "Private" vault, then you'll be able to share with them/her by moving items into the Shared vault.

I hope that helps! :)

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

Thanks, gentlemen! I will follow those steps, and check back in if I hit any snags.

• :) :+1:

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

OK, went through and did that. Now I have an alarming number of duplications, plus a new array of primary, private, on my Mac, shared - that I don’t know how to manage.

It didn’t used to be this hard.

I think what I need to do is drop all of this legacy info into its own vault, and start over in the new family mode. First I’m going to act like I’m brand new to the game, and watch the tutorials. Not so happy, right now.

• Oh no. I'm sorry, @dwbark. Sounds like you may have already copied items into your account from those vaults. If you'd like to email me at support+forum@agilebits.com, I can take a closer look at things and help you out. If you do, make sure to post your support ID here when you get the autoreply so I can find your email.

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

Thank you. I’m going to give it a rest for today, and start clean in a day of two. It’ll work out.

• Ok. Let me know if I can help. :)

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

Rob: [#WAT-59448-629]

• Hi @dwbark

Thanks for the report. If you log in at https://my.1password.com/ do you see the duplicates? If not then the issue is that you haven't completed the instructions Rob posted above. You'll need to complete the steps he listed under "Once everything is moved, you can just delete those two vaults."

Please let me know.

Ben

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

On the website, after logging in, I see that all of my accounts are duplicated into “shared,” and my wife’s transfered into “private.” Those are the only two accounts listed under the “All Accounts” icon.

As of now, I have not yet accepted the wife’s request to join the new version 7.

• Hi, @dwbark.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I'll reply to you via email so we can get this sorted out.

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

OK, Diagnostics sent for 1 laptop, 2 iPads and 2 android phones. All separate emails, because that looked like that best way to execute that task, although messy! Thanks for you help.
    On a side note, I'm having no problems with 1Password 7 functionality.
    db

• Thanks for that. We'll get you sorted out via email.

Rick

• dwbark
    dwbark
    Community Member

I need sorting out.
    😁

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Don't we all! Let's continue the conversation via email to avoid any further confusion. :lol:

This discussion has been closed.