firefox developer edition browser extension can't talk to the desktop app

jaredep
jaredep
Community Member

I got the latest Firefox Developer Edition (63.0b14) and installed the 1p browser extension from the web site. It flickers in the browser location bar every few seconds, but I can never get it to work. The Firefox log fills up with can't connect to native app 2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.

My MacOS Console log has a bunch of errors (see below) in it. Do I need to do something to bless the connection between 1p and the browser? That used to be a thing where you verified/typed in a 6 digit code but I don't know how to do it anymore and wasn't prompted.

70201002 [EXT:(Secondary Thread 0x7fee6c80ff00):<OP4NativeMessageClient: 0x7fee6b716070>] E handshakeWithManifest:reply: | Failed to verify the connection: manifest:{
    OPNativeMessageClientArguments =     (
        "/Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password Extension Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordNativeMessageHost",
        "/Users/jared/Library/Application Support/Mozilla/NativeMessagingHosts/2bua8c4s2c.com.agilebits.1password.json",
        "onepassword4@agilebits.com"
    );
    OPNativeMessageClientBrowserPID = 57950;
    OPNativeMessageClientBrowserURL = "file:///Applications/Firefox%20Developer%20Edition.app/";
    OPNativeMessageClientURL = "file:///Applications/1Password%207.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/1Password%20Extension%20Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/1PasswordNativeMessageHost";
    OPNativeMessageClientVersion = "7.2.1";
} : NMStatic:1 NMRuntime:1 BRuntime:0 JSON:1

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: 10.13.6
Sync Type: 1p account

Comments

• @jaredep,

It looks like the FFDE.app's runtime signature isn't valid based on the log excerpt you pasted.

did you install a fresh copy of FFDE or did it auto-update itself?

• jaredep
    jaredep
    Community Member

It was a fresh download today and it didn't need to update itself (63.0b14 was what was in the DMG). MacOS asked me the usual "you just downloaded this off the internet are you sure you trust it" question.

• jaredep
    jaredep
    Community Member

My chrome plugin can talk to the app otherwise I wouldn't be able to log into the forum (i am too lazy to copy and paste).

• @jaredep,

if you run this in terminal does it tell you that its dynamically valid?

ps auwwx | grep firefox | grep -v grep | awk '{print "codesign -d --verify --verbose=3 " $2}' | sh

• jaredep
    jaredep
    Community Member
    + ps auwwx
    + grep firefox
    + grep -v grep
    + awk '{print "codesign -d --verify --verbose=3 " $2}'
    + sh
    63679: dynamically valid
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/pingsender
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/pingsender
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libfreebl3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libfreebl3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/firefox-bin
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/liblgpllibs.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/liblgpllibs.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libplugin_child_interpose.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libplugin_child_interpose.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/plugin-container.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/plugin-container.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libsoftokn3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libsoftokn3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/XUL
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavutil.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavutil.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozglue.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/crashreporter.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/crashreporter.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssdbm3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssdbm3.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavcodec.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libmozavcodec.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssckbi.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnssckbi.dylib
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/updater.app
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/updater.app
    --prepared:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnss3.dylib
    --validated:/Applications/Firefox Developer Edition.app/Contents/MacOS/libnss3.dylib
    63679: valid on disk
    63679: satisfies its Designated Requirement

Looks okay to me.

• jaredep
    jaredep
    Community Member

So uh I rebooted my computer and it works now (I really had tried completely quitting 1p and restarting it, and all the browsers too, but I didn't want to reboot the whole thing). Sorry for the fire drill. Thank you for your super timely and useful help -- I didn't know you could check the code signature on a running application.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jaredep - hey, no worries. It keeps us on our toes. ;) On behalf of rudy, you're quite welcome. Glad he was able to assist.

• bvanlierop
    bvanlierop
    Community Member

I had the same problem. Needed to reboot the whole system. Didn't think i need to for a browser extension though. Thanks anyway

• Thanks for the update @bvanlierop. It really is the best solution sometimes and is often a reasonable first troubleshooting step.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.