1Password has hung twice in the last few days

Doofus
Doofus
Community Member

1Password has crashed (hung) twice in the last few days.
I am running 1Password 7.2.1 (also the Safari extension 7.2.1), Safari 12.0, and Mojave (10.14) on a MacBook pro (Mid 2012).

Activity monitor shows four active processes:

• 1Password 7
  • 1Password Extension Helper
  • 1PasswordAgent
  • 1Password (Safari)

Neither the main application nor the “mini” responded to any prodding. No response within Safari, either.
Using the Activity Monitor, I was able to “Quit” 1Password 7, but not the other three processes (not even with “Force Quit”).
Relaunching 1Password 7 restored functionality of all processes.

This hang did not happen upon startup, but many hours later (while, AFAIK, the computer was not being used).
Before hanging, operation was normal.

I can send today’s Console log, but there are no entries before my relaunch of the 1Password application.
The only oddity I see is this:

[32009] Fri Oct 12 17:57:02 2018| Starting 1PasswordAgent 3.8.21 #32009 built Apr 24 2013 16:09:31

Is the up-to-date version really this old?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: 10.14
Sync Type: DropBox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doofus - 1Password Agent may be your culprit there. I noticed you said this is a mid-2012 MBP. That means the first version of 1Password you installed way back then would've been 1Password 3 for Mac...and, yup, that's what the 1Password Agent is from. It's what became the mini in later versions (everything 1Password 4 for Mac and later), but if you still have that cruft not only hanging around but active, then please try the following to remove it:

• Try force-quitting 1Password Agent in Activity Monitor. If you can, great. If not, well, try this anyway.
    • In Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder, then copy and paste the following in the pop-up:~/Library/LaunchAgents
    • Delete ws.agile.1PasswordAgent.plist (if it exists).
    • Choose Go > Go to Folder again, and copy and paste the following: ~/Library/Application Support/1Password
    • Delete the Agent folder
    • Empty your Mac’s Trash
    • Restart your Mac

I can't say without taking a closer look whether that will completely solve the problem, but it's a pretty good bet. Let us know what you discover.

• Doofus
    Doofus
    Community Member

Thanks for this. 1Password Agent was not running, but I did the other stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

• Doofus
    Doofus
    Community Member

I looked at the console from when I restarted the computer. I see this:

Oct 15 14:36:18 Sludge com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper[5706]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by loginwindow[113]
    Oct 15 15:29:28 Sludge com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.user.domain.501.100008.Aqua): Could not import service from caller: caller = otherbsd.464, service = 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword7-helper, error = 119: Service is disabled
    Oct 15 15:29:36 Sludge 1Password 7[761]: DEPRECATED USE in libdispatch client: dispatch source activated with no event handler set; set a breakpoint on _dispatch_bug_deprecated to debug

Is this normal?

• Doofus
    Doofus
    Community Member

OK. 1Password just hung again. This time I know within a couple of minutes when it happened, because I was logging into a series of web sites (to check on my credit cards). It stopped responding when I tried to open the fourth or fifth one. Force-quitting 1Password and relaunching it restored functionality.

I looked at the Console ... There are no 1Password entries since last Friday. Is there something else to look at?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doofus - there's plenty of things potentially to look at, but rather than play 20 Questions with you in this public forum, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the subject of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#FFB-39739-731]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Doofus only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: FFB-39739-731

• Doofus
    Doofus
    Community Member

Diagnostic report was just sent.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Doofus - great! Myself or one of my colleagues will have a look shortly and let you know what we see.

This discussion has been closed.