Tags in 1Password 7

This discussion was created from comments split from: where are the folders? [We use tags now in 1Password 7].

Comments

• jonathanmorgan
    jonathanmorgan
    Community Member
    edited April 2018

Sorry to post about mac in the windows side. I saw a channel with exactly my topic and I jumped on it.

For reference, I did a "File-->Import" in 1Password 7 Beta for Mac, pointed it at my 1Password.sqlite file from 1Password 6, and it did exactly as I wanted - the things from my primary vault went into my Private area in my 1Password.com account, and the other vaults were turned into shared vaults in the 1Password.com account. All folders were correctly translated into nested tags, too. I think this is a better thing to recommend for people with multiple stand-alone vaults than the copy/move, though it might be a pretty narrow subset of people who want to do exactly what I did.

When you click on a given tag in the sidebar, it looks currently like the list view directly to the right of the sidebar includes items from every tag in the hierarchy from the current tag down. Might be nice to be able to filter the view when you click a given tag to either include child tags or not.

Overall, looking pretty good so far. Looking forward to collapsible tags in the side-bar, and coming out of beta so I can move my wife over to 7. =)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to post about mac in the windows side. I saw a channel with exactly my topic and I jumped on it.

@jonathanmorgan: No need to apologize. Just want to make sure we're on the same page (context-wise; we're already on the same webpage :lol: )

For reference, I did a "File-->Import" in 1Password 7 Beta for Mac, pointed it at my 1Password.sqlite file from 1Password 6, and it did exactly as I wanted - the things from my primary vault went into my Private area in my 1Password.com account, and the other vaults were turned into shared vaults in the 1Password.com account. All folders were correctly translated into nested tags, too. I think this is a better thing to recommend for people with multiple stand-alone vaults than the copy/move, though it might be a pretty narrow subset of people who want to do exactly what I did.

That's really helpful! Thank you for sharing what worked for you. It's definitely hard to nail down a solution that will work for everyone, as I think most folks using multiple vaults have their own way of doing things. But someone else may read your comments here and find that this sounds good to them too. :)

When you click on a given tag in the sidebar, it looks currently like the list view directly to the right of the sidebar includes items from every tag in the hierarchy from the current tag down. Might be nice to be able to filter the view when you click a given tag to either include child tags or not.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Overall, looking pretty good so far. Looking forward to collapsible tags in the side-bar, and coming out of beta so I can move my wife over to 7. =)

Haha we are too! Thanks for the kind words. Glad you're enjoying it. We've got more on the way! :chuffed:

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member

Hi All,

I just "upgraded" from mac 1PW v6 to mac 1PW v7 and now I have gone from an extensive, well organized, usable and understandable structure to a pile of poorly cooked spaghetti.

I googled "1password 7 manage tags" and found this discussion.

Folders and tags have different purposes. If the 1PW architects felt they needed to eliminate folders then they should have signed up for Gmail accounts and studied how tags are effectively utilized.

Mac 1PW v7 is not a production release, heck it is not even an alpha release.

Agilebits should have realized that (unlike Gmail, which was started from scratch) they were eliminating a structure that that some customers (like me) have been using for well over a decade. I have paid Agilebits a decent sum of money over the years and they have just thumbed their nose at me.

Regards,
    Jake

PS
    When one does a Check For Updates in Mac 1PW v6 one is told they are fully up to date :-)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JWJ: No one is thumbing their nose at you, Jake, but I do have to admit that it isn't clear to me from your comments what you need help with exactly. This is a rather old discussion in the Windows beta category of the forum, but you seem to be referring to 1Password for Mac. But incidentally, you shouldn't be offered an update to version 7 in that case since it's a paid upgrade. If we'd done that, wouldn't you feel that was a sneaky tactic to get your money? :tongue: Anyway, if you'll let me know what your question is, I can split you off somewhere more appropriate to get you whatever help you need. :)

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member

Hi,

In most apps (Mailplane for instance) when you check for updates they tell you that a paid upgrade is available, they don't state that you are up to date.

As I noted, I found this discussion when I googled "1password 7 manage tags." As things are now the visual clarity that folders provided is totally gone. Also, the entry that was at the top of the Google link and contained "Sorry to post about mac in the windows side. I saw a channel with exactly my topic and I jumped on it." to which the replay was "No need to apologize. Just want to make sure we're on the same page (context-wise; we're already on the same webpage :lol: )" So I felt I was in the right place.

Why am I unable to expand and contract nested tags as I was able to do with folders? In my case context is important and the ability to expand and contract folders greatly enhanced perceiving context. What I have now is a visual mess. As I noted, Gmail is an effective implementation of tags that you all seem to have ignored.

Is there a quick way to distinguish, in Mac 1PW v7, what were folders in Mac 1PW v6 and what were tags in Mac 1PW v6?

Why weren't my smart folders brought over?

This is enough for now, i Have to get to work.

Regards,
    Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In most apps (Mailplane for instance) when you check for updates they tell you that a paid upgrade is available, they don't state that you are up to date.

@JWJ: While I haven't found that any of mine have done that this year, certainly some apps do. But it complicates things a lot for both us and our users since it would mean separate code (and behaviour) for the Mac App Store version.

As I noted, I found this discussion when I googled "1password 7 manage tags." As things are now the visual clarity that folders provided is totally gone. Also, the entry that was at the top of the Google link and contained "Sorry to post about mac in the windows side. I saw a channel with exactly my topic and I jumped on it." to which the replay was "No need to apologize. Just want to make sure we're on the same page (context-wise; we're already on the same webpage :lol: )" So I felt I was in the right place.

Oh totally. It just gets confusing with your other comments since there were no 1Password 6 licenses sold on Windows. It was much simpler there, because all those users had 1Password.com memberships, and thus version 7 was not a paid upgrade. Since you go more into the Mac app, I'll split you off into a discussion there. Thank you for clarifying!

Why am I unable to expand and contract nested tags as I was able to do with folders? In my case context is important and the ability to expand and contract folders greatly enhanced perceiving context. What I have now is a visual mess. As I noted, Gmail is an effective implementation of tags that you all seem to have ignored.

Is there a quick way to distinguish, in Mac 1PW v7, what were folders in Mac 1PW v6 and what were tags in Mac 1PW v6?

Why weren't my smart folders brought over?

Sorry for the confusion there. Those aren't folders or tags. "Smart folders" were searches, an Apple technology, and thus only ever worked on the Mac. Since there isn't any way currently to do that in a way that's cross-platform compatible, that isn't possible. But it's something we'd like to build ourselves in the future, so that it works for all 1Password users, not just those using only Macs.

This is enough for now, i Have to get to work.

Same here! Seriously, thank you for the feedback, especially letting us know the specific things you'd like us to work on for future versions of 1Password. :)

• This discussion was created from comments split from: where are the folders? [We use tags now in 1Password 7].
  • JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member

Hi,

I have tried very hard to use and understand 1PW v7 and it is almost useless to me.

At first glance the converted folders appear to be hierarchical tags. However, 1Password did a very poor conversion of folders to tags. An example:

In 1PW v6 one has several top level folders and each top level folder contains a mix of sub-folders and items then when I click on a top level folder I only see the items in that folder and the left hand navigation shows that I have sub-folders.

1PW v7 shows the folders that were converted to tags as a non-collapsible "hierarchy" of tags and when I click on a top level tag it shows all of the items in the hierarchy, not just the items that were in that level.

So the information structure that I have created over the last decade is totally gone and the tags that I did create in all the earlier versions of 1PW have lost much of their usefulness. I was using both folders and tags and they are different.

I use 1PW for much more than keeping IDs & passwords for logins. My items range over: Logins, Credit Cards, Software Licenses, Databases, Identities, Secure Notes etc. In other words, just about everything that I want to keep in an organized secure place. Right now the only effective way to find anything is through searching.

So I now have to find another solution (or solutions) and get all of my information out of 1PW. I have over 1200 items in my vault. Many are historical, but hundreds contain current information.

My questions:
    1. Can I roll back to 1PW v6? I can use an earlier vault backup, if need be.
    2. Will 1PW v6 run OK on MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)? I always wait for the first bug fix release before upgrading.
    3. For whatever reason(s) on iOS I still have my folders while on Android I have the flat spaghetti structure. My MacBook Pro is still running 1PW v6 and shows the folders. Will anything strange happen when I roll the iMac back to 1PW v6?

On 11 Oct 2018 I contacted support (support ID #XFB-91475-846) asking for a refund. Other than the auto-response I have heard nothing. It will be a week tomorrow. Will somebody please take care of it.

Regards,
    Jake

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member

Hi,

Please address my concerns and answer my questions and address support ID #XFB-91475-846.

Regards,
    Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited October 2018
    1. Can I roll back to 1PW v6? I can use an earlier vault backup, if need be.

@JWJ: Yep! It's not a good option long-term, since 1Password 6 will not be receiving any more updates and incompatibilities will arise (Safari 12, for example, uses a new App Extension instead of the old .safariextz, which Apple will be phasing out completely soon). But you can download the old version from our update site:

https://app-updates.agilebits.com

1. Will 1PW v6 run OK on MacOS 10.14 (Mojave)? I always wait for the first bug fix release before upgrading.

We haven't had reports that it doesn't work well on Mojave, but it cannot work at all with Safari there as that requires 1Password 7.2 or higher due to the new Safari App Extension. You can use a different browser though.

1. For whatever reason(s) on iOS I still have my folders while on Android I have the flat spaghetti structure. My MacBook Pro is still running 1PW v6 and shows the folders. Will anything strange happen when I roll the iMac back to 1PW v6?

No. You'll just need to use your vault with the folders saved. 1Password for iOS version 7 was released last year, so it needed to support both tags and folders. We'll be phasing out folders entirely in time, but it still supports them currently.

On 11 Oct 2018 I contacted support (support ID #XFB-91475-846) asking for a refund. Other than the auto-response I have heard nothing. It will be a week tomorrow. Will somebody please take care of it.

Yep. Sorry about that. We've just gotten a lot of messages recently. A lot of folks seem to think that sending us a bunch of messages will get them a response faster, but in reality the opposite is true: when people send us multiple messages in different places that slows down response times even further for everyone since we need to go through all of them and try to figure out what's going on. Anyway, I don't see where you asked for a refund, but we'll get back to you shortly. Thanks for your patience.

ref: XFB-91475-846

• JWJ
    JWJ
    Community Member

Hi,

Please refund my 1PW v7 purchase.

Order Reference 1PA181011-6879-87638

Regards,
    Jake

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JWJ: If you'll reply to my email with your receipt, I'll be happy to look into that for you. I'll close this discussion so we're not trying to have the same conversation in multiple places.

This discussion has been closed.