Need help restoring a 1p4.zip backup to 1Password 7

chance28
chance28
Community Member

Hello,

My Mac recently died and was reformatted by Apple Genius bar. They Told me they won't restore my 1Password so I'm trying to restore from a Time Machine backup. I found my 1p4.zip backup files and have them copied to my new OSX installed machine. I have already tried to restore them by following the instructions found here:https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/74246/importing-1p4-zip-file-to-version-6-5-3

Upon completing that command and relaunching 1Password 7. My master password no longer works. How can I fix this?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chance28
    chance28
    Community Member

I'm on Mojave 10.14 - I have the Agilebits website version of the app. I did follow the (Control + Option key / Quit combo) delete instruction of the "App Store" version of the app which was installed by the Apple Genius bar people. So there was a previous install of 1P7 on the machine.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chance28 - ok. Can you tell us what version of 1Password you were using prior to your crash/reformatting? Was it the current version (7)? Or was it an older version? Also, what vaults do you see in 1Password for Mac right now, if you go to Preferences > Vaults (number and name of vaults)?

• chance28
    chance28
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

I was on 1 password 4. There were no vaults and there is no vault or any contents in my 1P web account. I can't log into 1P locally now after trying to restore from the backed-up the 1p4.zip. right after doing that "restore" it quit and the main password doesn't work now when launching the app.

Thanks!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@chance28 - OK. 1Password 4 for Mac is a pretty old version, but still... At this point, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#GNK-53384-342]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @chance28 only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: GNK-53384-342

• Pat5000
    Pat5000
    Community Member

Hi Lars,

This is Chance28 logged in as a new account (my sons email) because my two email addresses are already used up on agile bits main and support accounts. A weird thing happened where my 1password support forum login stopped working (or I messed up the password). I tried to reset the password and that link / reset process worked, but when I logged out (after making a new password) the NEW password no longer worked. now I'm stuck in a bit of a loop where it also seems to have two email addresses for me. I really don't know what's wrong. Is there any way to reset the chance28 account/password but keep my conversation (above) with you? My next step is to do the diagnostics.

If all of that is too confusing i suppose we can just use this email / account to work through the original support questions.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pat5000 - I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're doing, here. The email and password you use for this forum have nothing to do with whatever email address and Master Password you use for your actual 1Password account. The latter are the "keys" to your most important data, this is just a discussion forum account so you can post here. They do not have to be identical, and definitely should not be.

I've already asked you to send in your diagnostics report using the Support ID I mentioned in my earlier post. Please create your diagnostics report using the instructions, and send it via email. Make sure you have the Support ID in the Subject line of your email before sending, so it will be attached to our conversation. We can continue the conversation via email, privately. If you need us to, we can reset your forum sign-in, but that's not necessary to continue with our troubleshooting. Looking forward to your diagnostics report soon! :)

• Pat5000
    Pat5000
    Community Member

Hey Lars, I understand... I was having trouble signing in to the support forum - separately from any 1Password app, user, pass, or key issues. I'll work on getting the diagnostics to you ASAP - thanks for your help.

• Pat5000
    Pat5000
    Community Member

OK... the Diagnostics report is sent to support@agile... with the reference number.

Thanks

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Pat5000 -- thanks. One of us will be with you shortly via email. :-)

This discussion has been closed.