1Password 6 Safari Extension uninstalled after 1Password 7 installation from the AppStore

og_konov
og_konov
Community Member

I have a standalone 1Password 6 license bought from the AppStore.
I decided to make an update so I get 1Password 7 from the AppStore again. I still want to stay with a standalone license. Unfortunately this can not be done if I install the app from the AppStore. 1Password 7 installation also adds a new safari extension. After I deleted the 1Password 7 installation I can't install 1Password 6 extension again.
How I can have my safari extension back. I can't find safari extension on the web site.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: personal cloud.

Comments

• og_konov
    og_konov
    Community Member

I managed to install again the 1Password extension following this link:
    https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

You can, of course, get a licence for 1PW7 if you download it direct from AgileBits. It is a paid upgrade. Is there a reason why you want to stay with the App Store version, did you assume the upgrade was free?

Changes made by Apple mean that extensions can no longer be installed from a developer's site (in Safari 12). They can currently be installed from Safari's Extensions Gallery, but even that will be going away some time soon.

I thought the old extension still existed but was disabled, but maybe not. Try at https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C for the Extensions Gallery version.

• Hi folks,

The Safari Extension Gallery has been depricated, and it will no longer accept submissions after December. Apple is strongly encouraging all extension developers to move their extensions to Safari App Extensions instead of the now depricated Safari Extension Gallery style extensions. We’ve done that for v7, but will not be updating v6. As such, while you’re welcome to continue to use 1Password v6 for as long as you’d like, that may prove difficult/impossible with Safari after December. It seems likely after that time the possible options for continued use of 1Password will be to upgrade to 1Password 7 or to use a different web browser.

Ben

• og_konov
    og_konov
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

Your explanation is very clear. I find it unfair for the clients of v6. I don't think that it is big deal for your dev team to update v6 Safari Extension. At some point I will update to v7 but I don't like to be forced to do it. I have paid for my v6 standalone license just one year ago.
    I also understand that you don't want your clients to stay on a standalone license. There are some people like me which really like the application but we don't want to put our sensitive information in a public cloud. I don't understand what is the problem to have an in-app purchase in the app downloaded from the AppStore that gives you a standalone license. This was the case with v6. Now I have to download the application from the web site. I find this process ambiguous.
    In a situation like mine where I have a v6 standalone license when I update from the AppStore I find out myself with non working v7 and v6. I spent more than 2 hour looking for a solution. Your upgrade process should be more straightforward.

• @og_konov

Your explanation is very clear.

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that.

I find it unfair for the clients of v6.

I'm sorry to hear we've made you feel that way. We supported and updated v6 from January of 2016 through May of 2018 -- nearly two and a half years. I think you'll find that is a greater span than can be expected with many other software licenses. We also offered a grace period where any license purchased on or after March 27th, 2018 was automatically granted 1Password 7.

I don't think that it is big deal for your dev team to update v6 Safari Extension.

It took our development team months of hard work to make the transition. If you know of a more efficient way I'm sure they'd love to hear about it.

At some point I will update to v7 but I don't like to be forced to do it.

I understand, and we aren't forcing you. You're welcome to continue using v6 for as long as you would like. We will not be adding new features like the Safari App Extension to it though.

There are some people like me which really like the application but we don't want to put our sensitive information in a public cloud.

I'm not sure I'd agree that is what happens when using 1Password membership. Regardless of how you sync your data it is encrypted on your device using (at least) your Master Password prior to being synced or written to disk. No unencrypted 1Password is transmitted. In addition, with 1Password membership, your data is also protected by a second layer called the Secret Key:

About your Secret Key | 1Password

The Secret Key makes it such that even if someone were to (contrary to our advice) use a weak Master Password it would still be incredibly difficult, costly, and time consuming for an attacker to decrypt any of their data were it to be stolen from our servers. Of course we also take every step to be sure that doesn't happen in the first place.

We aren't just throwing everyone's private information onto a server for everyone to see. :) Further details about the steps taken to protect 1Password data are available here:

About the 1Password security model

I don't understand what is the problem to have an in-app purchase in the app downloaded from the AppStore that gives you a standalone license. This was the case with v6. Now I have to download the application from the web site. I find this process ambiguous.

Our CEO, Jeff Shiner, explains our reasoning on that question in detail on our blog. If you’re looking for a standalone license, however, don’t worry! Although the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac is available via membership only now, if you want to continue in standalone mode you can download 1Password 7 from our downloads page and purchase a license from us directly within the app. And if you’re a previous user of the Mac App Store version of 1Password, we’ve got a great guide to switching to our version for 1Password 7.

In a situation like mine where I have a v6 standalone license when I update from the AppStore I find out myself with non working v7 and v6. I spent more than 2 hour looking for a solution. Your upgrade process should be more straightforward.

I'm not sure I follow, but I'd like to help. Could you please elaborate about this difficulty? Is it your intention to upgrade to 1Password 7 at this point? What upgrade process were you following and where did you get hung up? What were the symptoms of 1Password 7 not working?

Ben

• og_konov
    og_konov
    Community Member

Hi Ben,

I can agree with most of the points you have mentioned.

Our CEO, Jeff Shiner, explains our reasoning on that question in detail on our blog. If you’re looking for a standalone license, however, don’t worry! Although the Mac App Store version of 1Password 7 for Mac is available via membership only now, if you want to continue in standalone mode you can download 1Password 7 from our downloads page and purchase a license from us directly within the app. And if you’re a previous user of the Mac App Store version of 1Password, we’ve got a great guide to switching to our version for 1Password 7.

I agree with you. The problem is that you are somehow hiding the existence of standalone license. When I check on Pricing standalone license is missing as an option. So in order to understand how to do it I have to search in Google or ask in the forum. This is what I don't like.

I'm not sure I follow, but I'd like to help. Could you please elaborate about this difficulty? Is it your intention to upgrade to 1Password 7 at this point? What upgrade process were you following and where did you get hung up? What were the symptoms of 1Password 7 not working?

I have v6 standalone license bought from the App Store. So I decided to download v7 from the App Store again. After the installation was completed I had a v7 with no standalone license option and v6 with removed Safari extension. It was difficult to find the right link so I can recover my v6 Safari extension. Now the problem is fixed for me.
    I confirm that I have received an e-mail a month or two ago that describes the process but I didn't pay the needed attention to it.
    My main complain is that you should have a link for standalone license in the Pricing in your web site so the clients can found these great guides easily.

Thank you for your comprehensive answer.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@og_konov

The problem is that you are somehow hiding the existence of standalone license. When I check on Pricing standalone license is missing as an option.

Not hiding, but we are definitely not advertising or promoting standalone licenses on our website, as a 1password.com account is the best experience for most users. For those longer-term users who've had standalone licenses in the past, or who are new but already know for sure that a) standalone licenses for 1Password exist and b) they want one, we still offer them. And if you download 1Password directly from us, when you first launch it, you'll see this window:

Users can click the larger green button to create a 1password.com membership, or you can click the indicated link to purchase a standalone license. Clicking that link takes you to a second window comparing the two options, with license purchase highlighted:

• sjhuettl
    sjhuettl
    Community Member

So, it's August 2019 and it's taken me way too long to repair everything after I accidentally downloaded 1Password 7 about a month ago thinking it was an update. I've finally restored 1Password 6 on my Mac. But after restoring the main app, I find that I can't download the extension on Safari any more which was somehow deleted from my browser when I restored the main app(?). Why did my extension disappear from my browser in the first place? Frankly, I was willing to upgrade to a subscription, but it was fraught with problems. Is there absolutely no way to get the Safari extension now?

• @sjhuettl

The 1Password extension for Safari 12 for use with 1Password 6 can be downloaded here:

https://safari-extensions.apple.com/details/?id=com.agilebits.onepassword4-safari-2BUA8C4S2C

Please note that this will not work with Safari 13. Safari 13 will require Safari App Extensions, which are only available in 1Password 7.

Ben

• sjhuettl
    sjhuettl
    Community Member

Now that I look at it, there is an "install now" button, but before I naively click on yet another button...does it work with 1Password 6?

• sjhuettl
    sjhuettl
    Community Member

Sorry, but that page doesn't have any download on it. Thanks

• @sjhuettl

does it work with 1Password 6?

Yes. It only works with 1Password 6 and Safari 12 (will not work with the upcoming Safari 13).

Sorry, but that page doesn't have any download on it. Thanks

The "Install Now" button that you mentioned is the one you want:

Please let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• sjhuettl
    sjhuettl
    Community Member

This is what I get.

• sjhuettl
    sjhuettl
    Community Member

Oh, nevermind. I found the problem. Thanks so much.

• Do you have a content blocker enabled in your browser? Also: just to confirm... you're viewing that page in Safari, correct? The "Install Now" link will only be available in Safari. I'm a little confused, as earlier you said:

Now that I look at it, there is an "install now" button

Which made it sound like you saw the button. 🤔

Ben

This discussion has been closed.