Highly unsuccessful move from 1Password5 (standalone) to 1P7 via 1P.com account

Dialogic
Dialogic
Community Member

I've messed up moving from 1Password 5 to 7.

My 1Password5 on my Mac Airbook had 688 total items: 413 logins; 1 secure note; 1 credit card; 272 passwords; and 1 license. I know this because that's what I see on my Android, which I haven't upgraded yet. I was on a standalone licence with 1P v. 5.
I just signed up for a 1P membership account to get 1P 7. After following the instructions, 1P7 on my Airbook has 406 total items. I did the convert process from keychain to OpVault.

I must have done something(s) wrong. I've been using my Android 1P to manually fill in logins on my Airbook when the latter does not have the up-to-date info. It's very laborious and time-consuming to say the least.

Can anyone help me please get all 688 items into my new version 7? Then I'll update the Android app.

1Password Version: 1P7
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: macOS High Sierra
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: Do you still have your original vault? 1Password won't have touched that, so as long as you didn't delete it that's probably a good starting point. Let me know.

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty!
    I can see a primary vault on Dropbox; it only has 398 total items, so also incomplete. I think there was a step in the conversion process I undertook last Thursday that affected Dropbox, but am not sure. Can you help please?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: We're looking for your original vault. What are the exact steps you took, and where, for the "conversion process" you're referring to?

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member

@brenty : I went to https://start.1password.com/sign-up?l=en and signed up for an account. Then followed the instructions to install version 7. There was migration from keychain in Dropbox to OpVault. That's all I did as far as I remember. I have the 1Password emergency kit, if that's any help. Thanks for staying with me on this!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: Sure thing! I appreciate the details. I think I know what we're looking for. In Dropbox, you should find a vault ending in .agilekeychain or .legacyagilekeychain. Do you see that?

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Yes @brenty , I see .legacyagilekeychain. What should I do?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: Awesome! Please rename it to .agilekeychain instead, and do the following:

1. Go to File > Vault > New standalone Vault
    2. (If that's not an option for you, you'll need to enable local vaults in Preferences > Advanced first)
    3. Go to File > Import > 1Password Keychain
    4. Select your .agilekeychain vault and set it to import into the vault you just created

At this point, you should have all the data you expect in the new local vault ("On this Mac") in 1Password. Double check that. Then there's a decision point: do you want to simply delete the data in your 1Password.com account's Personal/Private vault, and migrate the existing data from your local vault again? Or would you rather start over with a new account for a clean slate, and then migrate the data there instead?

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

Thanks @brenty!
    Problem = I've renamed it to .agilekeychain. However, when I go to your Step 4, it does not show as renamed. It still shows as .legacyagilekeychain. And, I don't want to delete data in 1Password.com account because I've been manually adding to it since encountering this problem last Thursday, Oct. 11.
    What do I do now?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: Hmm. Well...if you don't delete the data, and you migrate again, then you'll end up with a lot of duplicates. Hundreds, it sounds like. Maybe create a new vault in your 1Password.com account, move what's in your Personal/Private vault to that new vault, and then migrate the data from your local vault to Personal/Private. Once you're confident all is well there, you could delete the new vault in your account. What do you think? Regarding the renamed local vault, try restarting your Mac. Something may just be cached in Finder.

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member

Thanks @brenty for suggestion re 1Password.com to avoid duplications. After restarting Mac, .agliekeychain still displays as .legacyagilekeychain, i.e., unchanged when trying to import into new Standalone vault. Help!?!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Dialogic: I think you probably just added .agliekeychain to the file name and didn't actually modify the file extension, so what you have now is something like 1password.agliekeychain.legacyagilekeychain — still a .legacyagilekeychain technically. Try editing it from the Get Info (⌘ I) dialog in Finder.

• Dialogic
    Dialogic
    Community Member

Yes, that could be. I'll do as you suggest tomorrow as I have a late meeting now. Your help throughout is very much appreciated. I'll update this thread tomorrow with the latest development. Cheers!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

No worries. We're here when you need us. And good luck with the meeting! Maybe you can get a nap in. ;)

This discussion has been closed.