"...can't open the application 1password 7 because it is not responding"

keygb
keygb
Community Member

Hi,
I've been using 1Password for a few months now, but as of yesterday, whenever I try to use my desktop links, it either does nothing or I get the error msg, "...can't open the application 1password 7 because it is not responding" ... I've recently installed Bitdefender and StopLight onto my MacBook... do you think that could have something to do with the problem? (fyi, I'm using High Sierra 10.13.6).
Any help/advice would be appreciated!
thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't open the application 1password 7 because it is not responding

Comments

• envisaging
    envisaging
    Community Member

I'm having the same story. I restarted my computer, but I get the spinning wheel at the top on mini and cannot even open the app.

• envisaging
    envisaging
    Community Member

I have come to depend on this program. This is a disaster!

• Eingang
    Eingang
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

I don't know why you're having a problem or how to fix why it's not responding in the first place, but you can "force quit" applications on the Mac in two different ways.

The first is via the Finder: press Cmd-Opt Tab in the Finder to bring up the "Force Quit Applications" dialogue box. Find the 1Password7 application in the list, select it, and click the "Force Quit" button. Your other choice is via the Activity Monitor. Use Spotlight to launch Activity Monitor, type 1password into the search box, select the 1Password7 entry from the list, and then click the 'x' in the top left corner of the window. It'll pop up a dialogue box asking you to cancel, force quit, or quit. You can try Quit, but it probably won't work if the application isn't responding, so then go for Force Quit.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @keygb! I'm sorry for the trouble.

I've recently installed Bitdefender and StopLight onto my MacBook... do you think that could have something to do with the problem?

It definitely could. Are you able to temporarily disable these applications, or whitelist 1Password within them? Try that, and let us know how you get on.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @envisaging! The same story? So you also recently installed BitDefender and StopLight? If not, can you share a little more information with us: what specific version of macOS are you running, what specific version of 1Password, what browser(s), and what version of our 1Password extension in these browsers, and what method of sync (if any) are you using? Please let us know anything else that you think might be relevant: recent changes in your computer setup, when you first noticed the problem, etc. Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.