I need to reformat my mac book today (now) and I need guidelines what to do with 1 password

Marcos_Pavani
Marcos_Pavani
Community Member

I have 1 password 6 running on my mac book (mac OS Mojave) syncing with my iPhone 6. I need to reformat my book today. What should I do before reformatting the mac book with 1 password to keep the files ok?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:reformat my mac book

Comments

• Marcos_Pavani
    Marcos_Pavani
    Community Member

1 Password 6 version 6.8.9
    Mac OS Mojave version 10.14
    sync type: I do not know this info.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Marcos_Pavani - we ask you for your sync type because one of the things it lets us know is where your vaults are stored and how you access them on multiple devices. You can find out (if you don't know) by opening 1Password 6 for Mac's Preferences > Sync and looking there. If you don't see a Sync tab in Preferences, then look under the Accounts tab. Let me know what you discover. Thanks.

• Marcos_Pavani
    Marcos_Pavani
    Community Member

at the Sync tab I have found a message like this:Este Mac está definido para executar um servidor WLAN do 1Password que inclui a sincronização deste cofre para dispositivos iOS. Você pode alterar isso em Preferências de Servidor WLAN. I understand that my Mac is defined to execute a server WLAN. Yesterday I saw that could be possible to make the sync with the dropbox, so, I have set this as well.
    Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Marcos_Pavani - OK, so you have only one single Primary vault. That means likely the best thing for you to do is open 1Password for Mac and click File > Backup. Then visit Preferences > Backup and click "Show Files." Find the backup you just created, and copy it to a USB flash drive. Then, after you reformat everything, you can re-install 1Password 6 for Mac and when you first run it, choose to restore from a backup. Use this backup from the USB flash drive.

On your iPhone, turn syncing OFF (because you'll soon have a "new" device if you reformat your Mac's hard drive), and after you restore, you can turn syncing back ON. Let us know if you have any questions.

This discussion has been closed.