What do "Open 1Password in the background when you log in" and "Optimize database" mean?

billj
billj
Community Member

After installing 1Password 7 for Mac, I'm asked whether I want to "Show 1Password in the menu bar" and whether I want to "Open 1Password in the background when you log in." I understand the first item, but not the second. Would checking this put 1Password.app in System Preferences > Users and Groups > Login Items? Or does it refer to something else? What would be the benefit of checking the checkbox for this item? I've attached a screen shot of what I'm referring to.

Also, would you please explain what 1Password 7 > Help > Tools > Optimize database does, and when I should use it? Is it something I should perform if my 1Password database was created in 2007 (even if it seems to be working OK)?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.0
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@billj - no. What that does is launch the 1Password mini so it's available from your Mac's menubar and in your browsers, without you having to launch the main app. It's the same thing as clicking "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" in Preferences > Browsers. You'll still have to provide your Master Password to unlock, but it makes it available without having to launch the app.

This discussion has been closed.