Touch ID unlock is requiring a click instead of automatically prompting me

ezzatron
ezzatron
Community Member

I have 1Password 7 installed on my Touch ID equipped MacBook Pro running Mojave, and I'm experiencing an annoying UX problem when using Touch ID with 1Password.

When 1Password prompts me to unlock my vault, I would expect to be able to simply touch the fingerprint reader, as is the case with other Touch ID enabled apps. Instead, 1Password requires me to click a fingerprint icon first, before using the fingerprint reader:

Once I click the icon, I am presented with the Touch ID dialog (this is how I would expect the app to behave without clicking the icon):

This really seems like more of a bug than a conscious design choice, because I confirmed with a co-worker that his 1Password app does automatically prompt for Touch ID on unlock. Our app versions are identical, and our hardware is very similar; the only noteworthy difference is that he is not yet running Mojave.

Another co-worker who is running Mojave is also experiencing the same issue as me.

1Password Version: 7.2.1 (70201002)
Extension Version: 1Password X 1.12
OS Version: macOS Mojave 10.14
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ezzatron
    ezzatron
    Community Member

I've figured out that this only happens when I have the actual 1Password application window open. If I use the 1Password menu bar icon, I'm immediately prompted by Touch ID. Same goes for opening a new 1Password application window, Touch ID prompts me immediately. So this issue can only be reproduced by having the 1Password application window as 1Password is locked.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ezzatron - thanks for writing in. The behavior you're seeing is intentional design, and it's always been this way. As you've observed in your later post, it only happens when the main app window is opened. We don't want this prompting you when it shouldn't. For example, if you have the app set to open at startup.

There is a keyboard shortcut ( ⌘⌥I ) to prompt for Touch ID in the main window, but we've filed an issue to make that more discoverable via a menu item as well. Thanks for bringing it up, and hope this helps! :)

ref: apple-2461

• ezzatron
    ezzatron
    Community Member

Okay, no worries. I simply stopped using the main application window, and use the menu bar icon instead. I also verified that my friend without Mojave could replicate the same behaviour, so it's not OS dependent, like I initially though.

Thanks for the reply :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ezzatron - yep, it's not a Mojave thing. Keep an eye on release notes, and you may see an added menu item in a future update of 1Password 7 for Mac. Thanks again! :)

This discussion has been closed.