Watchtower says 1011 of 1241 items reuse passwords - they don't - figured it out

geoffb
geoffb
Community Member

In Watchtower, when you look at the little hint (first 3 letters and... of the passwd) above each supposedly
reused entry+password, they at first appear somewhat different, it's gone bonkers, they are not dupes. But wait ! Closer
inspection reveals this:

If the first character of the password is a numeric or a symbol, it now says that ALL passwords that begin with that
precise first numeric or symbol are dupes, so it doesn't compare past the first position. Ie all passwords with "G...." are dupes,
all passwords with "b...." are dupes and so on

thanks, hope this helps everyone

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 1.12
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: 1pw cloud sync

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geoffb - that's certainly not the way things are supposed to be! You have both 1Password X and 1Password 7 for Mac installed; can you clarify for us whether you're seeing this behavior in the main 1Password app, or in 1Password X?

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member

I am seeing it in the main app, ie 1PW 7.2.1, here's a screenshot. Note the 1st character of each hint, and that it thinks all of those entries with the same first character are dupes. It's not a huge issue, just thought you would like to know. thanks !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geoffb - thanks for the clarification and screenshot. I'm wondering: when you created your 1password.com account, did you perhaps also leave your older, Primary vault active in 1Password, even after it migrated your data into the Personal vault? If so, that'll be the reason you're seeing all of these duplicates: because the Reused Passwords feature looks at your entire database, including any vaults you may have removed from the All Vaults view. Could that be the issue? If you still have the older Primary vault, there really isn't any need to keep it -- or certainly at least not keep the already-imported-to-Personal items in it. You can remove the Primary vault (presuming it has no data you still need) by visiting Preferences > Advanced and un-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1Password accounts." Hope that helps!

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member
    edited October 2018

hey thanks ! that was it :-) the number of reused passwords is now accurate (unfortunately !) Appreciate the suggestion, I did not know that it was comparing the entire database, even though the local vault was unchecked. So now the question is how to save a local copy of the current cloud vault back to a local copy, just in case ? Re-enable the "Allow outside.." ? The File->Export produces an unencrypted database and "Backup" merely opens the Prefs pane but there is no option to backup.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geoffb - there's really no need to make a local backup copy of your data. The local 1Password 7 for Mac copy IS your "local backup" of sorts: 1Password for Mac keeps a local cache of your data, which is how you can use your account vaults without an internet connection. It also means that if we ever went poof overnight, or the entire eastern seaboard with all Amazon data centers was wiped out by political stupidity, you would still have your local copy. You'd then be able to re-enable the local vaults, transfer all your information over into it, and continue merrily along in a standalone setup, or export your data for use in another application, or whatever you like. Keeping a redundant secondary vault available in 1Password just causes problems (only one of which you've seen). It can cause confusion about where items are being saved, result in data discrepanies, etc. I wouldn't recommend it.

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member

Excellent ! Yes, we run our entire DevOps, Machine Learning resources and company data store on AWS too, if it ever went poof, we'd all be hosed simultaneously. Certainly hope you guys never go poof, we totally depend upon 1PW, it's the best. As to political stupidity.. much higher probability ... now where was that radiation proof coat I left in the closet ?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@geoffb - glad I could help. :) It's a little scary thinking about just how much data is online these days. It's one of the reasons I'm never upset at people's instinct to keep local copies; I have the same instinct. Fortunately, we're designing 1Password along those same lines, so you don't have to do the legwork of maintaining a problematic duplicate local vault on your own. Glad I could clear that up -- and thanks for the kind words. :)

• geoffb
    geoffb
    Community Member

Appreciate it mucho !

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.