1Password X on Chrome on Windows 10

Options

I recently had to migrate from macOS to Windows 10 :(

In macOS when you press the X the window sort of minimizes in the dock but doesn't close completely but in Windows the X closes the window entirely.

This affects the way that 1Password X behaves. In the first case you can have it unlocked for a longer period of time (because the browser window doesn't close completely) but in Windows, the window closes and the extension locks itself every time (you need to enter the master password every time you open chrome again).

I like to configure 1Password X to enter the master password only the first time and have it opened the rest of the session. It would be nice to have an option to run 1Password X for chrome as a background application, so if you close the browser window it will remain opened in the tray area and it will not lock.

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 1.13.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Internal

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mendozal,

The 1Password X extension cannot exist outside of Chrome so when it shuts down there's no option, anything directly connected to 1Password X is terminated by Chrome. At some point the hope is we can have 1Password X connect to the native 1Password for Windows application but we're not there yet and I wouldn't want to try and guess when.

Depending on how attached you are to how 1Password X works there is an alternative that may help. There is the companion extension which can be found on our "Downloads - 1Password" page. The companion extension, located under the header 1Password extension is merely a bridge between Chrome and the native 1Password application. As a result it has no state, no actual access to your data and so the unlocked state of 1Password is based on the native application and won't be affected by browsers terminating and starting up again. The companion extension also has no UI (User Interface) of its own so there aren't the inline menus that you're used to from 1Password X.

An alternative could be Vivaldi. Closing the last tab keeps a blank tab open so you have to actually quit Vivaldi in the normal sense. That would ensure 1Password X can remain running. I haven't found any settings for either Firefox or Chrome which surprised me but I'm not primarily a Windows person.

This discussion has been closed.