I'd like to go back to old version

DaNoiD
DaNoiD
Community Member

I'd like to go back to old version (6), can I just quit 1password7 mini and trash 1Password 7 ??

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OSX 10.14
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:I'd like to go back to old version, can I just quit 1password7 mini and trash 1Password 7 ??

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @DaNoiD! If you want to return to 1Password 6 for Mac, you'll need to Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), the delete version 7. Don't use any app cleaners or uninstallers to do this, as these programs can remove more data than we want them to. Just drag the 1Password app to the Trash. You should be able then to reinstall version 6.

I can't recommend that as any sort of long-term solution for you, however. Version 7 has only replaced version 6 as the current version of 1Password in May, but already since then Apple has released macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), which includes major changes in Safari 12 which version 7 incorporates but version 6 does not and likely never will. I'm not saying version 6 can't be used right now -- it certainly can, especially if you're on an older version of macOS. But you indicated you're using Mojave, so you seem like the type of person who stays up to date with your software. That's a good thing. As a security company, we just can't advocate users return to previous versions of our own software, any more than we'd urge people to revert to no-longer-supported versions of their operating systems or browsers.

If you were having problems with 1Password 7 for Mac, I'd be happy to see if there's a solution for you that doesn't require you to revert to a legacy version of 1Password. Can I ask what made you want to switch back?

• DaNoiD
    DaNoiD
    Community Member

Thanks for the help. I was wrong, I had version 4. And I love it. It works great with Mojave. It's easier to use. It's extension for Safari worked, it didn't bring up a pop up telling me to subscribe or purchase before I could use again. (ransomware, IMO) If version 4 ever becomes obsolete, I will start using Safari Passwords. (Just now, I had to use Safari Passwords to log into forum. As 7 didn't save it when I signed in. BUT as soon as I signed in, it was added to version 4.) That's why I wanted to go back....

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DaNoiD - OK, a couple of things. First, if you purchased a standalone license for version 4 from us, then versions 5 and 6 were free upgrades. You can use the version 4 license on any version up through the final version of 1Password 6 for Mac, which was 6.8.9. I'd strongly recommend that, rather than version 4, mostly because version 4 WILL become "obsolete" at some point. That's sort of the way things work: once a version is no longer being developed, it's essentially frozen in time, and as both the OS on which it works and related technologies like browsers and sync engines continue to be developed, it stays the same...and eventually, incompatibilities become such that it just doesn't work any more. That's a big part of why we urge people to stay as current as possible.

In regard to your other point, about "ransomware," I just can't agree there. I presume 1Password is not the only software you've paid for in the time you've used computers, and if that's correct, then you'll be familiar with the industry-standard model of free in-version updates (from 3.5 to 3.6, for example), while full-version upGRADES (like from 5.4 to 6.0) require the purchase of a new license for the new version. This is the same model that we use for 1Password licenses...and 1Password 7 for Mac is a completely new version. These two points go hand-in-hand: it actually takes quite a bit of work to keep an application current with all of the changes in other technologies like browsers and macOS itself. That's why 1Password 3 for Mac doesn't really work at all on the last couple versions of macOS, and why we charge for newer versions: because we, like you, I suspect, enjoy getting paid for the work we do, and there's been quite a bit of it since the days of 1Password 4 for Mac. Our licenses never expire, so if you're content running 1Password 4 for Mac, you're welcome to do so...but we can't recommend it and at this point, we can't really offer much support for trying to run such an old version on the very latest OS and browsers.

macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) ships with Safari 12 as its built-in version. In Safari 12, Apple made a major change, away from the older-style .safariextz extensions we've all been accustomed to using for years, toward a newer and more secure style of extension called Safari App Extensions. Safari 12 will still accept the older style (which is what 1Password 4, 5 and 6 all use), for now. But Apple has already removed the ability of users to install them from developers, so now the ONLY way to install the older-style extension needed by 1Password 4 5 or 6 is to install it directly from Apple's own Safari Extensions Gallery. And Apple have told us they plan to close that down sometime around the end of the year. At that point, if you don't have an older-style extension installed already, you won't be able to find/install it. If an extension becomes corrupted or needs re-installation, you're out of luck. Not just with 1Password but with any older-style extension. 1Password 7 for Mac has the newer style Safari App Extension contained within it -- and it's part of what took such effort by so many people here to make version 7 a reality. Far from being "ransomware," it's literally what allows you to continue using 1Password on the latest version of Safari and macOS.

This discussion has been closed.