Tag items as 2FA enabled ?

Greetings,

Is there a way to "tag" items as 2FA enabled to avoid that they show up under the "Watchtower - Inactive 2FA" menu point, without adding the One-Time password field to an item?

My accounts are 2FA enabled via third-party apps.
I don't like the idea of having all my eggs in only one basket...

Currently, I have added the "One-Time Password" field to the items, so that they won't show up in "Inactive 2FA".

However, 1Password X fills not only the username and password, but also the 2FA field. With more and more companies moving to auto-detect 2FA entries they dont require the user to press OK/submit anymore, but redirect you to the webpage directly. This always results in a failed login attempt, because my 2FA from 1Password X obviously doesnt match with the one from the third-party app.

It would be great to either have an option 1) to tage items differently or 2) to decided whether 1Password X should fill in the 2FA details or not.

Thanks very much!

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 1.12.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Greetings @Monque,

I suspect you may kick yourself when you realise how close you were to discovering the somewhat hidden feature that is built into 1Password. If you add a tag titled 2FA to an item this tells 1Password that you have 2FA enabled but you're using something other than 1Password for storing the secret. So it allows you to dismiss the banner without adding a one-time password field and will help avoid that undesirable behaviour you're experiencing with 1Password X. As the tag is about dismissing the nag banner it works whether you're using it because you have a alternative source for 2FA or if for any reason you simply don't want to enable 2FA for that particular account. If you have any trouble with the tag please let me know but I think that should help and stop the incorrect filling by 1Password X.

• Monque
    Monque
    Community Member

ohhhhhh...... my gosh! Thanks so much @littlebobbytables this is so helpful!

I even had a section titled 2FA in the items, but all I needed was a tag instead! Geeeeeeez, I wish I had known this before, I am struggling with it for months and the solution was so easy!

Thanks very much for your fast reply!

• Monque
    Monque
    Community Member

Greetings @littlebobbytables

I would like to come back on this topic again.
    I just noticed that the tagging works fine on the Desktop App as well as on 1Password X, but if I open an item on the 1Password Android App it displays a message that 2FA isn't enabled for the item.

Tags:

Not directly related to the 2FA tagging, but I also noticed that the Android App doesn't recognize strong passwords and shows a notification for "Weak Passwords" although the password has letters + numbers and is exceeding 16 characters. It doesnt display the message on the Desktop App. The message only appears on the Mobile App.

Thanks for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Indeed, sorry for the confusion there. 1Password for Android doesn't yet support the exclusion feature, but it's something we'll be adding in an update. Thanks for letting us know you'd like that as well. :)

Regarding the "weak password" issue, it will depend on where/when/how you created the item. I suspect if you save a new login for it in the current version, you'll have more consistent results. We do, however, want 1Password to always treat passwords you enter yourself by typing or pasting as weaker than ones it generated and saved itself since it has no way of knowing if you'd created them with your brain (and thus they would be weaker than something random).

• Monque
    Monque
    Community Member

Thanks @benty for the clarification. Looking forward to an updated version in the future.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Likewise! While I'm glad that we got Watchtower into version 7, there are still many more things we want to do with it. ;)

This discussion has been closed.