Localization inconsistency

halfyearsun
halfyearsun
Community Member

I have a 1Password account and use 1Password 7 for Android (and 7.2 for Windows). I just learned that the accounts are localized to German (my native language) now and it works like a charm, thanks a lot! However both my Windows and Android version (7.0.6) which are set to German don't show the translated categories yet. The Windows version also still shows English labels on items. I read in the Windows forum that starting with version 7.3 the windows version will pull the translated categories and item labels, is that correct? Interestingly on Android the item labels are already translated but appear in lowercase. I checked both the web interface and the translated strings on crowdin and there they are uppercase.

I just double-checked and the user name and password fields are consistently labeled "benutzername" (instead of "Benutzername") and "passwort" (instead of "Passwort"). The URL label is sometimes "Webseite" and sometimes "website". That might be because my logins were over time migrated from agilekeychain to OPVault to LastPass and then back to a 1Password account. Is there any way to get this consistent again? Will version 7.1 for Android also support the localized accounts and magically fix the labels? I can live with the current situation as a minor issue but I read at least one Play Store comment where somebody wrote that the labels suddenly being lowercase in 1Password 7 for Android makes him doubt 1Password's reliability and I think that is not what you want.

I know that localization is a challenging topic and I think you are handling it very well (e.g. compared to LastPass). I think crowdin is a great platform for localization as well. By the way, can you point me to the crowdin project for the Windows version? When I add translations for Android I always get suggestions from "1Password for Windows Desktop's TM" but I cannot find the project via the project search.

1Password Version: 7.0.6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• Hey @halfyearsun! We go through a great length to provide 1Password in many languages, and we are so happy to hear you are enjoying 1Password in yours. :smile:

Item field labels are localized and provided through 1Password accounts. When a device connects to a 1Password account, a copy of the translated item labels is downloaded by the 1Password app. New items that are created on the device will use localized labels if it's available. This technique is relatively new and requires updating all of our client apps to support it. We are planning to add support in 1Password 7.3 for Windows, and we will be rolling it out on Android shortly. If you’d like to try it on Android now, you need to join our beta program and update to the latest beta release.

Interestingly on Android the item labels are already translated but appear in lowercase.

1Password 7 for Android introduced a design change that defaults provided item labels to be in all lowercase. This is true with 1Password on other platforms and should carry over to other languages. I’ll pass on your findings to our team to figure out why you are seeing different.

The URL label is sometimes "Webseite" and sometimes "website".

Field labels depend on the version of 1Password you added the item on. If localized labels are available and supported, then you’ll see the translated label ( e.g. Webseite) when adding the item. Once the item is saved, its labels are saved with it and do not change automatically.

By the way, can you point me to the crowdin project for the Windows version?

The Crowdin project for 1Password for Windows is not publicly available. Our localization team manages this project with a small number of contributors. If you would like to report an error with a translation for Windows, please let us know in the forums or by email, and someone from our localization team will look into it. :smile:

This discussion has been closed.