How to associate/link existing login (website) to iOS app

Options
iambarney
iambarney
Community Member

I currently have an existing login item in 1Password - username, password and website. These credentials are for my internet banking.
My bank also has an iOS app that sometimes prompts me for only my password, not my username as the app is already linked to my specific internet banking account when I first set it up.
I am currently running iOS 12 which has the AutoFill Passwords feature that I have linked to 1Password.
When I tap the 'Password' field, the keyboard slides open and I tap the 'Passwords' button above the keyboard to launch 1Password.
When I tap on my internet banking login item, nothing happens. I assume because 1Password is looking for a username field that doesn't exist.

I have 2 questions:
1. Do I need to edit the login item somehow so that it works well with the iOS app that only prompts for the password?
2. How do I associate my banking app to the relevant credentials in 1Password so that it autofills my password without me manually needing to navigate for it?

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @iambarney

1Password is “just” a data provider when it comes to iOS 12’s Password AutoFill feature. We don’t control the actual filling like we do with our own solution. It sounds as though the bank’s app hasn’t been properly updated to support Password Autofill. There are a couple of things developers are expected to do to make their apps compatible. One is they are supposed to define an “associated domain” for their app. This is how Password AutoFill knows which login item to suggest. The fact that you’re being offered the entirely listing of all logins suggests that they do not have this definition set up. The other thing apps are supposed to do is appropriately flag their username and password fields so that Password AutoFill recognizes them as such. It sounds like they have not done that either.

Unfortunately these are things the bank would need to address. It would be worth contacting them to see what their position is.

Ben

• Ilya Voloshin
    Ilya Voloshin
    Community Member
    Options

Once I do pick a web login to use for an app, however, can the 1Password app not simply remember the "associated domain" at that point for future use? Why do I have to select it each time?

• Ben
    Options

@Ilya Voloshin

The problem if you're seeing this is the app where this happens doesn't have an "associated domain." We can't remember something that doesn't exist.

Ben

• Ilya Voloshin
    Ilya Voloshin
    Community Member
    Options

That sucks. So iOS doesn’t provide any info of where the request came from?

• Ilya Voloshin
    Ilya Voloshin
    Community Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Also, @Ben, sometimes I create an account on the web and then the app might ask for a different associated domain (maybe their APIs are on a different domain or wahtever) and there's no way for me see what's it's asking for. Can you add the associated domain when 1Pass opens so I can see if it's blank or what I need to manually associate for future matching?

• Ben
    Options

That sucks. So iOS doesn’t provide any info of where the request came from?

Not if they don't have an associated domain.

Can you add the associated domain when 1Pass opens so I can see if it's blank or what I need to manually associate for future matching?

We do that now. :) If you look at the "create login" button within the 1Password UI in Password AutoFill it'll tell you what the associated domain is.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.