Why does 1Password 7.1.2 ask for permission to control System Events.App on macOS 10.14.0?

B_Z
B_Z
Community Member
edited November 2018 in Mac

I was running 7.1.2 on macOS 10.13.6, and updated today straight to 10.14.0. On first boot of 10.14.0 1Password did not auto-start, so I launched the 1Password 7.app from Spotlight. I immediately got a pop-up (as attached) requesting access to control System Events.app. I'm not sure what the System Events app does so I'm reluctant to approve the request without understanding why it's being made. Why does 1Password need to control the System Events app?

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Why does 1Password 7.1.2 ask for permission to control System Events.App on macOS 10.14.0?

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @B_Z! I admire your caution regarding security matters, but in this case, you're OK. In macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”), as they've been doing steadily for a few releases now, Apple continue to tighten security. This is a massively good thing in almost all respects, but it does mean that you may get some alarming-looking pop-ups where you didn't before. Receiving those out of the blue can make you feel as if you're less secure now or even that something's wrong, when in fact it's really evidence that you're more secure. Counter-intuitive, definitely, but what you're seeing is warnings that were not a part of previous versions of macOS -- it's being more cautious and letting you know about things that you may want to weigh in on, such as whether to grant this or that application certain privileges, where in the past, it would've just gone ahead and granted them without asking you for specific permission. Like I said, a good thing overall.

In this specific case, what's changed is that in Safari 12, Apple introduced a completely new type of extension called Safari App Extensions. These will be supplanting the older .safariextz-style extensions that we've all used for years. However, they knew better than to make this change immediately and without recourse, so - for now - you can still install the older style of extension into Safari 12, and it will work...but that's what's generating the pop-up. The reason this is happening to you is because you have 7.1.2 of 1Password installed. If you upgrade to version 7.2 (just check File > Check for updates), it will remove your older version and install the new one, because 7.2 is the version where we made the change. So in short, it's fine to click "OK"...but instead, it's better to just upgrade to the latest version of 1Password 7 for Mac, which includes support for the newer, more secure Safari App Extension. Hope that helps! :)

This discussion has been closed.