To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

no vault on my 1pw. license to ex. his name his email. want new account

dailyj
dailyj
Community Member

My 1password license was set up for me by husband in 2013. He put it in his name and with his email address. Now divorced, computers no longer connected. Want to open an account for myself and not tech savvy. Is this going to be a problem when I merge my current 1password into my new account? Also, there is no vault showing on my 1Password, when opened.

1Password Version: 6.8.9
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: MAC os Majave
Sync Type: don't know
Referrer: forum-search:why does my 1password on my mac not have a vault

Comments

• Hi @dailyj, it sounds like it is time for a wonderful fresh start.

Firstly, to make sure that 1Password is completely rid of anything you don't need, and to give you a blank slate to start with, you can reset 1Password by doing the following:

1. Open 1Password.
    2. Choose Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data and follow the onscreen instructions.

After you've done this, 1Password will be ready for you to add your own account.

1. Please visit https://1password.com/sign-up and choose 'Try FREE for 30 days' on either the individuals option or the 'Family' option. This will then take you through a few quick steps to setup your own account. Make sure, after you have chosen your Master Password, and your browser offers you to save your 'emergency kit', that you download it and keep your emergency kit in a very safe place. You'll need this to add your account to 1Password on any of your devices.
    2. The last step is to then add your 1Password account to the 1Password apps you've got installed. You'll see on your Emergency Kit, there is a QR Code. We call this your Setup Code. You can scan this code using 1Password to easily enter the account details you'll need. You'll just need to type your Master Password and you're ready to go.

What you do next, is up to you..
    1. We have a getting started article for mac here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-mac/
    2. We actually have getting started articles for all platforms if you have an android or iOS device and want to use 1Password there too: https://support.1password.com (half way down on that homepage)
    3. To start adding logins to 1Password, you'll want to enable the browser extension. 1Password will offer this to you after you have added your account. The browser extension will prompt you to save your logins as you login to the sites you need to use. We've got support guides for saving and filling logins if you would like to take a look.

Of course, if you need any help we're always here for you. You can say hello to us at @1Password on Twitter or Facebook, discuss any topics here on our forums, learn from our support page: support.1password.com, or get in touch with us through email.

Whether it's myself or another member of the team, we would be here to support you every step of the way :)

• dailyj
    dailyj
    Community Member

Your advice is totally different from the advice I received by email from 1Password. They simply advise to have it automatically merge when asked to do so, while setting up new account. If a problen arises I'm told to restore 1Password. I have no idea how to restore 1Password.

I have been using 1Password for many years and I have 92 items in my current 1Password. If I'm understanding your advice, you want me to wipe this clean and start manually re-inserting my items on the new account. I'm not familiar with computers or the lingo used to describe what I am supposed to do, so you can imagine I'm more confused now than ever.

I really need to have hands-on assistance with this. I'm thinking of asking an Apple computer store if they will assist me or perhaps Apple support.

I don't want to change over to a laptop until I get this done.

• Doodler_Benji
    edited November 2018

My apologies, when you said you have no vault showing, that sounded like you had no items there which is not the case.

Lets continue this via your email to make sure you have everything set correctly. Thank you for updating me here.

• dailyj
    dailyj
    Community Member

I'm still confused about what a vault is....I apologize for my lack of understanding much about computers. I am 74 years old and never had any formal training as my ex-husband controlled our computers. For the last 2 years I've been trying to figure out how to work a computer and not cause any major problems because I don't know what I am doing and have no one to ask.

I know how to work my 1password. But nowhere on my one password is there anything about a vault. I have 74 logins that are in alphabetical order and 18, what I would call folders, containing groups of information, not needing passwords. All of this is held together with my 1Password password.

So where is this vault and does it mean anything negative that I don't have one. When I look at 1password information on the web I see a photo of a one password page that shows the word vaults.

Please set this straight for me. Thank you. Going to emails to 1password take a long time for a response and most oftern none of my questions are answered but I'm given even more information that I don't understand. Thank you.

Again, I would also like to ask if it's okay for me to find some hands-on help so that I can get my account etc done and get my new laptop and merge from my huge 21.5" desktop monitor.

• dailyj
    dailyj
    Community Member

Hi again, Benji. I am also working with Andrew by email. Tried the forum because I couldn't get help fast enough. I understand now that you are all busy. Gave Andrew your name.

Just one more question.....I keep reading how people are syncing with Dropbox. Is that what I am supposed to do to get 1Password on my iPhone?

I am looking on-line for classes so that I can understand more about 1Password and my Mac and everything it has in it.

• Hi there @dailyj, thank you for following up.
    If you create and use a 1Password account, you do not need to worry about Dropbox.
    I'll email you now to try and wrap everything up so far.

This discussion has been closed.