6 and 7 on same macbook (different users)

gjvis
gjvis
Community Member

I’m having trouble preventing 1Password7 from automatically running on login, and running the extension, on one of the accounts my MacBook. It seems 1Password 6 and 7 might be sharing common config files?

This is a massive pain, as I need to use 7 for work, and my wife needs to use 6 (which we paid for ages ago) and we have no need to pay for 7 currently.

We have separate user accounts on the computer, and all works perfectly apart from this 1Password issue

Comments

• gjvis
    gjvis
    Community Member
    edited November 2018

Realised I was pretty unclear in that initial post! Whoops. Can’t see edit controls so adding clarification as a comment.

The issue is having both 1Password 6 and 7 installed on the same Mac, and trying use 6 with one Mac account and 7 with another Mac account (on the same machine).

It’s all working with one problem - configuring the background helpers to have only 1P7 start on one account, and only 1P6 start on the other.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gjvis - it's not recommended to use 1Password 6 for Mac and 1Password 7 for Mac simultaneously, or have both installed on the same Mac, and you're discovering just one or two of the reasons why.

That said, if you have your wife move 1Password 6 for Mac into her own Applications folder inside her user folder ( /Users/(wife's_username)/Applications ) instead of just /Applications, you shouldn't have any problems on "your side" of the computer. I emphasize "shouldn't" because, again, this isn't a recommended configuration, nor one we explicitly support, so you should think of this as advice, not a supported configuration for using 1Password. in both version 6 and version 7, there is a setting which runs the mini at login: in 1Password 7 for Mac, it's the Extension Helper checkbox in Preferences > Browsers. In 1Password 6 for Mac, it's the "Always keep 1Password mini running" checkbox in Preferences > General. Hope that helps! :)

• gjvis
    gjvis
    Community Member

Thanks @Lars, I’ll give that a try. Fully appreciate that it’s not recommended (or supported) and am happy to take on the risk.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@gjvis - :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.